PDA

View Full Version : Low Cost DIY Spindle Motor

Rad Racer
Fri 08 May 2009, 17:41
My current project is a lowcost "brushless" spindle. Here's a teaser photo of the prototype:D

Don't know how well this will work.....hope to complete and test the prototype this weekend:eek:

Spindle spec's:
2000watts (~2.5hp)
10,000rpm
ER-16 collet

Gerald D
Fri 08 May 2009, 22:56
VERY interesting stuff!

Rad Racer
Mon 18 May 2009, 22:20
I finished my prototype 3ph spindle. Here you see I have it mounted on my little cnc for the first test run.

Currently uploading a Youtube video.....I will post the link once it is complete.

If this all works out well, I plan to purchase a Sherline spindle built for ER16 collets. This will allow me to use bits up to 3/16" dia.

Rad Racer
Mon 18 May 2009, 23:36
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPLdHeRQp_w

Here is the Youtube video link.

Robert M
Tue 19 May 2009, 04:24
Isn’t it beautifully what a can achieve with proper mindset!!
Nice going Wayne, Robert ;)

lumberjack_jeff
Tue 19 May 2009, 09:20
Awesome!

What's your target budget, do you think cooling will be adequate, and do you anticipate the ability to control speed through g-code?

Rad Racer
Tue 19 May 2009, 13:36
Jeff,

The items required to build this spindle cost about $400. Cheaper motors and controllers exist, but I prefer to spend a little extra and be sure of the quality.

The finished project will use an industral Sherline spindle....they are good for 10,000 rpm continous. www.sherlineipd.com/spindles.htm

The motor and controller will require cooling, a simple muffin fan will do the trick.

I believe speed control through Mach3 is possible, but will require PWM frequency conversion. Mach3 produces a base PWM freq of about 5-10hz. a typical RC speed controller operates with a 10x higher base freq (50hz). I am sure a simple microcontroller w/some code will solve the problem....but like everything else it takes a little time and thought to get it to work. For now, I will use a little timer circuit to drive the speed controller...simple and cheap:)

domino11
Tue 19 May 2009, 14:51
Wayne,
Wow that looks impressive, have any video of it cutting stuff yet? :)

Rad Racer
Tue 19 May 2009, 19:09
No cutting video yet....need to mount it to the Mechmate first.

Rad Racer
Sun 05 July 2009, 08:56
Project update. I was not happy with the power output of the motor spindle combo....thought it would be more powerful at the low end. I will probably just breakdown and purchase a factory spindle:(