PDA

View Full Version : 4th Axis Addition #54 - Clinton TN USA

bolingerbe
Sat 20 June 2009, 07:31
Hello everyone my name is Bryan. I just wanted to introduce my self . I have started purchasing the parts necessary to build a MechMate. I have two objectives in mind normal wood cutting with a spindle and metal cutting using a plasma machine. I feel the first step will be to follow the directions for the wood work and then after completion add the plasma torch and bed. My plans are to work on the machine and electronics as separate projects and then combine them when both are up and running. The motor drive and proximity sensor being the point where they come together. As with most this will be a extended project, and I may need to ask a few questions along the way.

domino11
Sat 20 June 2009, 18:59
Welcome Bryan,
Have a look around there is lots to see. Try checking out some of the build threads of the guys who are cutting, you will be able to see how their machines went together and the problems they had and the mods they did. :)
We are around for questions when they pop up.

bolingerbe
Sun 21 June 2009, 14:33
I am a little confused on the metal used to build the Y-axis "Gantry" is it C-channel or Squar tubing and what is the recommended size.

Robert M
Sun 21 June 2009, 15:41
Hi Bryan, Welcome to the group :D
Hate to start this way, but you open the door...:o
You’ll need to read thoroughly the set of plans and a few threads & post before jumping to quickly & soon at some questioning on this design.
This MechMate is VERY well design & thought of by Gerald.
If you take the time to look and read at the plans, a few time I’d advise, you’d noticed you answer is right at page 10 20 440 :eek:

Wishing you a GOOD time with your build & enjoy lots of reading before starting this project....
Enjoy, Robert ;)

bolingerbe
Sun 21 June 2009, 16:20
Thank you, Robert

bolingerbe
Sun 28 June 2009, 10:49
I have started construction with laser cut parts ordered from Joe "Sweet Home Alabama”. Ordering experience with Joe was outstanding. I hope all items ordered for this project will be as easy and fast. Placed the order over the weekend and received the parts on Tuesday. You can not ask for nothing more. Hope to post some pictures over the next few days.

bolingerbe
Mon 29 June 2009, 19:58
You have to love wire ties, I hope the color will pass inspection.:D

Gerald D
Mon 29 June 2009, 22:49
Nice job (and colour) Bryan :)

bolingerbe
Wed 08 July 2009, 21:02
Hello and I hope everyone is doing good. I just wanted to give a little update on the progress of my build. I have completed most of the Control Box design/construction/wiring. I have only the two major parts the Geckodrives “203V” and the Oriental Motors “PK296A2A-SG7.2” left to purchase. I may have started this project a little late. My kids will be starting school shortly and their sports have already started. I am afraid this will slow my progression down. A Single parent with three kids, and no cloning capabilities. :eek: I will post some pictures when I have the Gecko’s mounted. I would like to say that I have enjoyed reading all of the post and think Gerald for this site and the support here. As the mechanical part is my stronger side, I am looking forward to learning the software portion. I may have to ask more questions on this section.

bolingerbe
Sun 13 December 2009, 18:59
I am at a point where I need to have some parts made and wanted to check if any one in US was making M1 20 220T and M1 30 224T for sell. I can work with a local machine shop but, if the price is good would rather keep it in the forum.

MetalHead
Sun 13 December 2009, 20:27
I'll PM you. I have them.

MetalHead
Sun 13 December 2009, 20:28
I'll PM you

bolingerbe
Fri 12 February 2010, 20:00
Kitchen Project is complete. All motors are turning and in the correct direction. Prox switch’s, and a few buttons setup and working. I have the base table, gentry, and y-car complete and moving by hand. A little more steel fabrication still left on adjustable table. Awaiting steel plate on order for the Z-Slide. Check sent to Standard Steel for Rack’s, and Spindle on the way also. Will try to get some pictures posted soon..:)

Gerald D
Fri 12 February 2010, 23:13
Well done Bryan, that is a major milestone. :)

bolingerbe
Sat 13 February 2010, 07:04
Yes Gerald you are correct, it was like a major weight lifted from my shoulders. It is a great feeling when you see the motors turning and no smoke. It has taken me longer than I planed but the end is getting closer and closer. As was pointed out to me in the begging all the information you need in every stage is here in the forum. You just need to spend the time reading. I am ready for this beast to start cutting and making dust.

bolingerbe
Sun 14 February 2010, 21:39
The contol box

Base Table

I still have some supports to fabricate for the base and the adjustable table is still in the fabrication stage. But more Pics will come.:)

bolingerbe
Fri 19 February 2010, 20:46
I received my VFD and Spindle today, after a few day stay at US Customs and some paper work from me. Another step completed. I also purchased a pump for the coolant of the spindle. I believe I will need to do more research on the pump side. The pump work good at present but I do not believe it will last. More research more research.

bolingerbe
Thu 04 March 2010, 16:13
All welding is completed, adjustable table is built, and all equipment lay out is over. I have ordered some stop block from Mike “Metal Head”. Z- from Texas is complete. Now it is time to disassemble and paint. Oh joy, you get the thing to gather to work out the issues and you really do not want to take it apart to paint. Would it be bad to just clear coat the metal and put the stickers on? :rolleyes:

bolingerbe
Wed 10 March 2010, 06:44
I would just like to see what is being used to cool the water cooled spindles. I am thinking of using a anti-freeze coolant due to seasonal temperature dips below freezing. But would like to see what others are using. I have my machine painted and all three axis moving. I will be working on the spindle connection and table over the next few days. I hope to be cutting, and posted results in at least one or two weeks.

bradm
Wed 10 March 2010, 07:31
My MM is in a freestanding garage which is only heated when I'm out there, so I'm using standard automotive antifreeze as coolant. Time will tell if problems arise, but it's been fine for six months now.

bolingerbe
Wed 10 March 2010, 18:56
I have spindle mounted, coolant tubing ran piped in to pump. A little OMG on the pump when the feed line popped off and coolant went everywhere. Tightened up feed line and all is well. I mounted the switch assembly with “resume, pulse, and E-Stop”. All wired up and tested. Awaiting stop blocks from Metalhead “Mike ,the proximity switches ready to mount, table board to be mounted. After that I will be showing this thing off, with a test cut. More updates to follow. Maybe a few Pictures over the weekend.

bolingerbe
Thu 11 March 2010, 19:41
Coolant Pump

Side View

Z- Slide with Safety Switch

bolingerbe
Thu 11 March 2010, 19:49
Table view

Adjustable seciton for table

KenC
Thu 11 March 2010, 20:14
Brilliant job! Love your table height adjustment concoction. Should be cutting soon.

bolingerbe
Thu 11 March 2010, 20:22
If the weather will work with me I will pick up the base material for the table tomorrow. I will only have the proximity switches, stop blocks and stops left. When I get this completed I will but the stickers “Mechmate Logos” on and hopefully make a few cuts.

Kobus_Joubert
Thu 11 March 2010, 22:34
Are you drilling for oil with that Z-axis :D

bolingerbe
Fri 12 March 2010, 06:06
Yes, it is a long stroke on the Z-Slide. :D

jhiggins7
Fri 12 March 2010, 06:18
Bryan,

Very interesting Z-Slide. I wonder if you'll see a difference in cut quality when your table is adjusted to the lowest setting versus the highest setting. Other's (including Gerald, I think) have expressed concern about the "flex" of "long" Z-Slides. Did you make any modifications (other than extending the length of the Z-Slide)?

Keep us posted on your results. We wish you well.

bolingerbe
Fri 12 March 2010, 06:30
I will try to run some test when I have everything completed. My plans where to intergrate a plasma cutter at full length, and use the spindle only at short distances. Some of my plans may change as far as the plasma cutter goes. I may have to stiffen up the Z-Slide or not run it at its full lenght. I purchased the steel for the Z-Slide in a 36" lenght and did not cut it down. I wanted to keep my options open as far as the lenght was concerned. I do understand the flexing issue when cutting wood but felt that the plasmsa cutter would not have the same problems. I will keep everyone posted on how it is running.

jhiggins7
Fri 12 March 2010, 06:35
That makes a lot of sence. Thanks for the update. Keep up the great work!:)

lumberjack_jeff
Fri 12 March 2010, 17:11
I purchased the steel for the Z-Slide in a 36" lenght and did not cut it down.

Is it 36" from the carriage to the floor?

bolingerbe
Fri 12 March 2010, 18:14
Jeff,

The Z-Slide has 16" of movement downward. As quoted above, I will only use it at the extents for plasma operations. If I do use the plasma on the unit I plan to build a coolant tank with grates on the last section of the table for cutting operations. The table section will be removable to allow the use of the plasma, and expose the cutting tank. It is not recommended to have a Z-Slide of this length for cutting via a spindle/router. The plasma should have very little if any resistance during operations.

bolingerbe
Sun 14 March 2010, 17:43
Today is a cleanup day. Moved most of tools to build this machine back in to their home. Mach Mate emblems placed on machine. First layer of table glued up and clamped. It is amazing how many different tools have to be used to build a project like this. My build starched out far longer than I planned but I am very happy with the results and hope to be cutting soon. To be honest I could not resist cutting out the roadrunner. It was amazing to see the big blue beast cut. I still have a few more things to do but hopefully they will be completed shortly.

MetalHead
Mon 15 March 2010, 05:59
Well lets see some pics of that Road Runner !!!

bolingerbe
Mon 15 March 2010, 06:16
I may pick up a smaller bit today and re-run the cut. The bit I was using was to big and not much detail to the cut.

bolingerbe
Mon 15 March 2010, 17:29
A Front and Rear View

The Big Blue Beast Cutting

Finished Road Runner, A little rough but cutting

domino11
Mon 15 March 2010, 19:09
Congrats Bryan. Mike where is the serial number?

bolingerbe
Mon 15 March 2010, 20:00
Thank you, Heath I have enjoyed this project and the help that I received. As all MechMate projects start here in the expert drawings from Gerald on this great site. The Laser Cut parts from Joe “Sweet Home Alabama”. When I was in a bind, the bearing support bases from Mike “MetalHead”. I also purchased the car stop blocks from Mike. A special thanks goes to Mike, for stepping up and taking the rings of this site. I have a lot to learn and will be working hard to get to speed on cutting speeds, and bits. A lot of reading has went in to this build, and a lot more is to come.

MetalHead
Mon 15 March 2010, 22:07
Congrats on the build !! Looks like you get #54 !!!

KenC
Tue 16 March 2010, 03:32
Congrat! Brilliant build!

sailfl
Tue 16 March 2010, 05:16
Bryan,

Congratulations on your finish and welcome to the club.

jhiggins7
Tue 16 March 2010, 06:39
Bryan,

Great looking build. Congratulations on your MechMate and Serial #54.

Here is the Updated Builder's Log (http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AttqjIPMBEXKcExveGc4d3U0V25zQmMyX1U1eUVhU Xc&hl=en).

Please let me know the "cutting" dimensions of your MechMate for the log. Also, please review your entry and let me know any changes you want to make.

I love the adjustable table height and long Z. We're anxious to see how it cuts.

bolingerbe
Tue 16 March 2010, 07:16
Thank you all for your comments. The finished size of my machine cutting dimensions is 120x72. I wanted to have plenty of room all the way around the table for to clamp a full sheet 49x97 piece of material. This is the size of MDF in the US and Plywood is 48x96. This is one of those things as the long z-slide. I had the room and a little additional size did not impact me much. Once it is build it is hard to stretch it just a little longer. Once again I want to think everyone here for their support and assistance along the way.

jhiggins7
Tue 16 March 2010, 07:30
Thanks for the information Bryan.

Here is the Updated Builder's Log (http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AttqjIPMBEXKcExveGc4d3U0V25zQmMyX1U1eUVhU Xc&hl=en).

Drad98_98
Wed 17 March 2010, 19:16
Looks great Bryan, good job!

jehayes
Wed 17 March 2010, 20:20
Nice job, Bryan. Welcome to the club (glad I am no longer the highest serial #)
:D
Joe

cvriv.charles
Thu 18 March 2010, 06:50
Awesome job. How far is Chattanooga from Clinton? My girlfriend was born in Chattanooga. She'll be happy to hear there's a MM in TN:) The only MM in TN:)

bolingerbe
Thu 18 March 2010, 06:59
Thank you Charles, I am about 3 hrs North of Chattanooga. #41 Leo in Soddy Daisy was the first in Tennessee it apperars, and we have Charles in Johnson City closing in on a number. This is a great project, and I still have a lot to learn. I have a few items still left to do, and then a lot of dust will be flying.

cvriv.charles
Thu 18 March 2010, 08:14
Oh sorry missed that. Theres just so many MM's, LOL. I hope to start my soon. My MM funds should be arriving in the next week, maybe week and a half. So hopefully soon I can get started. Good luck:)

bolingerbe
Thu 18 March 2010, 09:17
I hope to see you start the build. I would spend a lot of time considering the motor that you plan to use. I went with the PK296A2A-SG7.2 and think that it was a good choice for me. But during some of my reading on this forum makes me question that. For the work I plan to do with my MM the backlash issue hopefully will not be a problem. I had to consider my abilities with the equipment I had on hand to build the belt reduction. It came down to the cost of buying a belt reduction compaired to just the 7.2 motors. But this is just one of the many things you will have to consider. This is what makes this site better than most. Their is a lot of infomation here and geat people willing to help you along the way.

cvriv.charles
Thu 18 March 2010, 11:16
Argh,... you serious?!?! I was going to go with those motors. Theres a big problem with backlash? Great. Well,... I need my machine for a broad range of tasks. Cutting intricate parts might be what I do the most. But,... I do plan on mass cutting parts too. Here's the kicker,... i will need to mass cut intricate parts. So I need a motor/ setup that will be strong, fast, with minimal backlash. Any ideas?

bolingerbe
Thu 18 March 2010, 11:26
No I am not say their is a big problem with backlash. What may be ok for me may not be for you. I just recommend you read the section on this and come to your own conclusions. I have not got the experience to know much on this subject. I just wanted to point out to you there has been some discussion about that, and you may want to review the post before purchasing. Nor do I wish to question what has been said or recommended on this forum.

cvriv.charles
Thu 18 March 2010, 12:11
Ok. I understand. I will have a ton of questions when the time comes. Keep up the good work.

bolingerbe
Sat 12 June 2010, 16:43
I have not posted in awhile but have not stopped working with my MechMate. I have added t-slots to the table, detachable magnetic foot, and stated using Big-Tex Mach3 tool setter. Below are the additions. I have also installed a Crosshair Laser and will post more latter

T-slots

Dust Foot

Sensor Hook Up

Tools for Big-Tex Tool Setter

domino11
Sat 12 June 2010, 21:13
Congrats Bryan!

bolingerbe
Sat 12 June 2010, 21:37
Thanks Heath,

After a three year unwanted break for woodworking the construction, and learing to operate this massive machine has been a great pleasure.

bolingerbe
Sun 01 January 2012, 21:45
I made a few jewelry box's for some relatives

Jason Marsha
Mon 02 January 2012, 19:30
Love the jewelry boxes.

domino11
Mon 02 January 2012, 20:08
Very Nice!

bolingerbe
Tue 03 January 2012, 07:40
I would love to say this is something I came up with but the credit goes to Michael Tyler. I do not know Mr. Tyler but he allowed Vectric to use his project on the Vectric free projects page. For anyone interested I have inclueded the link below to all of Vectric Free Projects. And thank you for your comments.

http://www.vectric.com/WebSite/Vectric/projects/projects.htm

revved_up
Tue 03 January 2012, 14:15
Michael Tyler is big on the CompuCarve site and has made many of his plans available to purchase for the CompuCarve folks.

bolingerbe
Sun 02 December 2012, 09:29
Over the summer I made some changes to the main bed. I have been doing some research on installing a 4th axis and found on the another forum a fairly easy addition. Below is the pictures of this project.