PDA

View Full Version : Art has passed away RIP #2 - Lancaster Texas

Arthur Ransom
Fri 05 January 2007, 06:02
I am Art Ransom located in Lancaster, TX on the south side of Dallas. I am a retire network engineer (mainframe, Novell and Microsoft) and I started my business TurningARound on 2001 as a tax write off for shop and toys. I do custom and architectural woodturning and am having a great time. I have been using a Legacy Ornamental Mill and reached the point where it is boring and machine doesn?t have the capacity to do what I want. After researching CNC I decided to build my own, a commercial machine to do what I wanted was 200K. Unfortunately I didn?t discover MechMate till I was 95% complete on my DIY machine. Plan on starting a MechMate around the middle of 2007. My machine is teaching me a lot of things not to do.
I need a machine that will turn a 24? by 12? column along with fluting, rope/barley twist and carving. The bad part is I have not found anyone that is doing woodturning so any suggestions that you metal turning guys have please let me know. My web site is www.turningaround.org (http://www.turningaround.org) and am documenting my machine on it.

fabrica
Thu 18 January 2007, 11:14
Dear Arthur,

Your stuff looks super. Maybe One day I will need to have a indexer fixed to the mechmate which I am developing at the mement. At that moment of time I may need your inputs.

Arthur Ransom
Sat 12 May 2007, 10:00
I started building prior to finding this site and I used 4" box for the frame. Now I have started building the Mechmate gantry and have made it too narrow. The photo has a 1/2" piece of Al taped to the frame for reference. Open to sugestions to correct my oops.
http://www.mechmate.com/Forum/messages/9/15213.jpg

Gerald_D
Mon 14 May 2007, 08:31
Sorry Art, can't think of anything simpler than lengthening the gantry, or making the table narrower. http://www.mechmate.com/Forum/clipart/sad.gif

Arthur Ransom
Mon 14 May 2007, 11:11
**@*%^*^@#@(*&^%@)@#@!^_$^@!#$!!!

Gerald_D
Mon 14 May 2007, 11:14
You could put 3" box on top of the 4" box you used for the table?

DocTanner
Mon 14 May 2007, 13:32
Art,
I certainly understand your frustration of finding Gerald's plans after starting.
Same thing happened here.

Even after backing up and redoing several items, I found it more than worth the effort.

Best of Luck,
DocTanner

Art
Sat 02 June 2007, 04:11
Well I used my woodworking experience and solved the problem. Soaked the box beams in water to soften them and put the gantry on my metal streacher and streached the length by 2.8":p Sorry Gerald but I went with yellow and black color scheme instead the blue. Had a friend make me the Z slide. He thought the stock on the plan was too thin so he made it out of 1/2" thick material. Now that the wife is out of the hospital( 11 weeks) I can get back to work on the machine. Will post some pictures soon.

Art
Wed 06 June 2007, 17:39
here are pics of my gantry. I still have to get the gas shock and wire up the limit switches, input for solid state relay that turns on the router and dust collector.

51 52

(You need to log in to see the pictures displayed correctly)

Gerald D
Wed 06 June 2007, 21:13
Gee, when you said your gantry was too short, I didn't realise it was that much! :)

Nice job! What were the surprises or headaches?

IN-WondeR
Thu 07 June 2007, 00:03
That's a funky little machine....

What are you planning on making on it... you are a little handicapped in plate sizes...!!!

Gerald D
Thu 07 June 2007, 00:13
Have a look at Art's website (http://www.turningaround.org/) and then notice that his "table" above has no cross-supports, also see this thread: Mounting 4th axis rotating indexer or lathe under the gantry (http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=314)

IN-WondeR
Thu 07 June 2007, 05:35
Oooohhhhhh, that's going to be a huge indexer.... nice.....

Art
Thu 07 June 2007, 05:58
Gerald where did the bumble bee go? The machine is designed to do columns up to 24" by 10'. Wish now that I had made it wide enough for a sheet of plywood but the next one will have full sheet capability. Look closly and you will see the proxmity switches on the X rail and the AC outlet on the Y car. The AC outlet is controled by a solid state relayid that turns on with a M03 command and turns off with M30 command. This turns on/off the dust collector and router. Interesting fact on solid state relays is that they need to have a load on them to work. This led to some real head scraching when the lamp I used in testing worked and when the router and DC were plugged in they worked but when the electronic controled router by it's self didn't work. I used 4" cable chain because I got 60' of it for 100 USD. Looking for a cool bobble head to mount on top of the Z plate. Anyone have any suggestions?

Gerald D
Thu 07 June 2007, 07:21
Nah, that bumble-bee was too big and it stole your thunder - was just a time-filler till you posted the promised pics :):)

That solid state relay observation (with an electronically controlled router) is well worth remembering.

You should be able to make a bobble head of this:

Art
Mon 23 July 2007, 18:23
So what is my serial number? Guess it should end with .5 as it is a hybrid. Need to post final picture after getting the cabling cleaned up. A real fun project. I would like to build the gantry for anyone but unless you are close to pick up the machine you should build the table. This time of the year It gets too hot in the shop between 1100 and 1700 without the AC on and I don't do turning without the dust collector on and the DC sucks all the AC out. If you are interested contact me. akransom@tx.rr.com Gerald what is the royalty fee? Here is my hybrid,
http://www.turningaround.org/4_axis_mill.htm

Gerald D
Mon 23 July 2007, 23:05
Hi Art, your serial # should be something like 1SYB - the first short yellow & black one. :)
When there is a photo of it carrying the logo, and looking ready to cut something, it gets the next serial number. No.2 is still officially vacant.

Royalty should be 5% of profit, or 2.5% of total fee, but don't ask me how to pay it yet - the currency might be a return favour, or something.

Marc Shlaes
Wed 25 July 2007, 06:33
Hey Art,

I have looked at the Legacy Ornamental Mill. Never did decide to spend the money. Your machine is very interesting (and very yellow). I think that there are about 20 people that can't wait to see what you can 'turn' out.

Good Job.

Post some project pictures - please - as soon as you can.

Thanks,

Marc

Art
Fri 27 July 2007, 10:01
Gerald you need to start a serial # regestry. Here is my MechMate # 1SYB. See it at http://www.turningaround.org/4_axis_mill.htm .

Gerald D
Fri 27 July 2007, 12:30
Looks good Art!

The serial number thing is a bit tongue-in-the-cheek because no two models will ever be really alike and nobody is going to follow all the drawings, colour schemes and logos exactly ;)

What really is going to count points is if you can produce one signed by the designer! ;) ;) Those will really become collector's items. :D

Art
Sat 28 July 2007, 07:12
True it will be rare that someone follows the plans exactly. But it would be cool to have a rogue galley of the MechMates built around the world. Great news, the Lancaster School District has finally ordered the router and it is in build mode! Only took them 4 years. At this rate we may be actually be able to start building MechMates within 2 years,

Gerald D
Sat 28 July 2007, 08:52
Art, the ** sticky threads at the top of the Personal Pages forum are the completed machines. Or, at least some of them. Doc Tanner was the first guy to actually cut something with his machine built off the website plans, Fabrica was the first to publish smart pictures of a smart looking machine. You are the third person to have this "blog" go into the completed (sticky) section of the Personal Pages forum. Yours is the first indexer. Mine was the first machine. Doc Tanner's was probably the first built alone (no staff). Etc. Each to their own - it is about personal satisfaction and not a race (I hope).

Refresh my memory on the Lancaster school project - it rings a faint bell.....:o

Daya
Wed 01 August 2007, 20:14
I too have done a Indexer. Maybe I will have time today to uplaod some pics.

Daya
Tue 07 August 2007, 17:56
Art can you please post some pics of some jobs that you have done. Also can you please send me some links where I could find detailed pics of columns which could be turned out in a indexer such as the one you have turned out.

Gerald the Laser is still in progress. I am building a separate table for this purpose. Work is pretty slow since I had to get myself involved in some other urgent work.

Art
Wed 19 September 2007, 20:00
Finished the three 6' posts and spent most of the day getting an extra 3" in length so I can mount the 10' posts. I am mounting the posts between centers using 4 jaw chucks ,http://www.grizzly.com/products/h8049, so I can center the stock. Turned out that the vender sent me a chuck with wrong threads. Naturaly 3 months ago when I used one of the chucks on my wood lathe I grabed the one that was what I ordered and yesterday when I tried to use both chucks I discovered the error. I had to use my 10" chuck which is 5" thicker and 30 lbs heavier. What a real PITA!
This project was a perfect training project. I had two 6' and three 10', 8" by 8" fir posts that needed 6" long 8" square ends and the rest milled to an octogon. To keep it simple I decided that I would mill the flats and do the 4 sides to 8 side transitions by hand. I used the surfancing wizard in Mach3 to create the G code and then edited it to add a M3 at start to turn on the router and a G91 A90 at the end to rotate the stock 90 to the next flat. The entire file was set up as a macro that repeated 4 times and I had an octogonal post. Slicker than snot on a door knob! Running at 300 IPM it took about an hour to do a 6' post. It was nerve racking when I hit start and left to run errands. I was wondering if I would come back to a $100 piece of scrap wood or a finished product. Every thing worked right! I should post pictures on my site by Monday.

Art
Fri 21 September 2007, 16:24
I am running a 920 oz stepper with a 4.5 belt driven gear reduction on the A axis. I realy need more torque and holding power. I only see two options. I could mill a large gear or get a 900+ stepper with gear reduction. Rotation speed of 15 RPM ( 276 IPM at 6" diameter) should be OK. Any suggestions appreciated.

Richards
Fri 21 September 2007, 19:20
Art,
Your A-axis stepper @ 920 oz*in is about as big as I've ever used (or tested). Also, your 4.5:1 gearing is higher than the 3:1 and 3.6:1 belt-driven transmissions that I've built. All of the Oriental Motor steppers that are commonly used use a PK296 size stepper, which has about 300 oz*in. The gear box supplied with those motors (PK296A2A-SGx.x where x.x is 3.6, 7.2, etc) limits the available torque to well below the mechanical torque expected with a 300 oz*in motor geared down 3.6:1, 7.2:1, etc.

If I were looking for a higher gear ratio, I would probably resort to a multi-stage belt-driven transmission. By doing that, the 920 oz*in of the the stepper would be multiplied by the gear-ratio. The drawback is additional complexity; however, from the photos that you've posted, it looks like you have room for a two-stage belt-drive.

Gerald D
Fri 21 September 2007, 22:22
Art, would a worm-drive gearbox have too much backlash for you? Example (http://www.motec.co.uk/gearboxes_dynabox.htm)

Art
Sat 22 September 2007, 13:36
Brief search and I found a 1800 oz stepper without gear ratio. I was thinking of a geared stepper of the 900 oz range or better with 5:1 or 10:1 gear ratio toreplace my present stepper. The stepper would be cheaper and easier than adding another gear or the speed reducer. With a 5:1 stepper and present belt wouldn't that give me a 22.5:1 ratio or 22470 oz to the A axis shaft with a 900 oz stepper? This brings up data transfer rate limits of the printer port. How do I determine the max data transfer rate of my printer ports?

Gerald D
Sat 22 September 2007, 13:43
Art, did you see my question on the worm box? If that type of backlash is acceptable you can pick up a worm box very cheaply (less than the price of a stepper).

Mach sets your data transfer rate (over 70 000 pules per sec, or 2000 rpm).

Richards
Sat 22 September 2007, 15:34
Some of the really large steppers are hard to tune. I think that it has something to do with the large inductance ratings that large motors typically have. I've misplaced the email that gave the range of inductance for each Gecko G20x stepper driver, but I seem to remember that the G203 works best with motors that have an inductance rating of 0.5uH to 20.0uH. The G202 stepper driver is designed for motors in the 1uF to 40uF range. (Gerald, please correct these figures if I've remembered incorrectly.)

Some of the inductance ratings of large motors can be well out of range. For instance, the Oriental Motor PK2913-0A1A motor is rated at 76.8uH. That's a worse case example, but it seems to support the 'problem' posts made on other forums when the user can't get a large motor to run smoothly.

I like Gerald's idea of using worm gears. I've never tried using them - mostly because I assumed that they could only be run at low speeds. My assumptions can really get in the way of finding workable solutions.

Art
Sat 22 September 2007, 18:38
All the gear boxes I have seen were very expensive. Gear box was my original ides but were too expensive. Where do you shop? As for the data transfer rate I am worried that the port itself can handle the data rate.

Richards
Sat 22 September 2007, 20:24
Art,
I think you'll be okay with 25:1 final reduction at 15 RPM. The math says that you'll need:
25 X 2000 pulses = 50,000 pulses per revolution
15 X 50,000 = 750,000 pulses per minute
750,000 / 60 seconds = 12,500 pulses per second.
So, even at the slowest rate of 25,000 pulses per second, you would only need 1/2 of the available bandwidth to spin the rotary axis.

(I've downloaded the 100K speed version of Mach3, but with my particular computer, I actually end up with about 60K. In fact, there really isn't much discernable difference between Mach 3 running at 45K and my setup. A faster computer would help. This particular computer is a 2004 model running a 32-bit AMD processor. In today's world, it is a dinosaur.)

Gerald D
Sat 22 September 2007, 21:32
Mike the G202 can handle 1mH to 40mH inductance range while the G203V can handle 0.5mH to 20mH.

Art, worm boxes are typically used for roller shutter doors or conveyor belts. Most metalwork (milling) indexers are worm driven.
http://www.mechmate.com/forums/images/misc/progress.gif

Art
Sun 23 September 2007, 20:00
http://www.turningaround.org/4_axis_mill.htm
http://www.turningaround.org/MechMate/EvolutionProjects.htm

Gerald D
Sun 23 September 2007, 22:13
Art, you said the other day that you would be posting new photos soon, but the links above go to old pages? Am I missing something?

Art
Sun 23 September 2007, 22:39
The second one is the first job that I posted today. I will be posting more as I get them done. It is a thumbnail to the details.

Gerald D
Mon 24 September 2007, 00:05
Okay, it was the December 2006 date at the bottom that confused me.

Did you also cut the overall square outside shape with the "MechMill"?

(PS. MechMill is a rare word - only 10 obscure results in google - mechmill.com is still up for grabs - if you like it, you can have it :))

Art
Mon 24 September 2007, 01:00
No the timbers came as S4S 8 by 8's. Actually they were exceptionaly true for wood though on several faces I had to adjust a end and up to .15" and rerun the last surfacing pass to get the face with same at both ends. As a point of interest these were radio frequency dried. This involves usinf a vacumn kiln with RF transmiters inside. Think BIG, DAMN BIG, microwave in a vacumn. Fir cured this way mills and turns better but still has a lot of tear out. Easy to tell if large timbers are RF dried is that they have few if any cracks in them.

domino11
Sun 30 September 2007, 19:20
Art,
Do you have any more recent pictures? I really like your site. Also your rail modification is pretty neat. How is it holding out for you? Do you have any more close up pictures in case anyone else would want to try this rail arrangement?

Gerald, do you have any comments on the type of rail system and its use with the specified rollers? Feel free to move this part of the post to another section if its out of place.

javeria
Sun 28 October 2007, 20:00
Brief search and I found a 1800 oz stepper without gear ratio. I was thinking of a geared stepper of the 900 oz range or better with 5:1 or 10:1 gear ratio toreplace my present stepper. The stepper would be cheaper and easier than adding another gear or the speed reducer. With a 5:1 stepper and present belt wouldn't that give me a 22.5:1 ratio or 22470 oz to the A axis shaft with a 900 oz stepper? This brings up data transfer rate limits of the printer port. How do I determine the max data transfer rate of my printer ports?

Hi Art,

Why not try Harmonic drives, they usually have a reduction of 1:100 to 1:50 or is it the other way, whatever they do reduce teh speed and you can pick them up on ebay for around 50 bucks used and 150 new on ebay. I picked up one new on ebay for 150USD postage included. then you will have your baaby purring for more!

Regards
IRfan

A used one for you on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/HARMONIC-DRIVE-TRANSMISSION-TSR-1M-OGP_W0QQitemZ270149082088QQihZ017QQcategoryZ67009Q QrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

javeria
Sun 28 October 2007, 20:21
http://www.harmonicdrive.de/contenido/cms/front_content.php?idart=53

about harmonic drives

For complete assy's

http://www.pro.com.sg/CNC-PARTS/4th-axis/4TH-AXIS.htm

Art
Mon 29 October 2007, 08:48
The problem was that during milling the A axis would move when depth of cut was too deep. This occured only when the A axis had not moved within 1 second. Problem solved by removing the jumper that causes power to be reduced to the stepper after 1 second of no movement. This feature is avaliable on the Gecko 202 but I don't believe is avaliable on the 203. When milling wood you get a much better cut when cutting with the grain and side cutting is prefered. Here is the last 2 hours of the program to mill a 4x4 to round. Because fir tears so bad cuts have to small.

G90 Z1 F300
G90 X0 y0 Z0 m3
M98 P23 L2

M30
O23
(G91 z-.04)
g91 y-.02( 2hr runtime P23 L6 A6 L35 on P22 .24" depth of cut)
M98 P22 L90
M99
O22
G91 A2
G90 X90
G91 A2
G90 X0
M99

javeria
Mon 29 October 2007, 19:18
Art,

I just purchased a harmonic drive for a smaller CNC than the Mechmate approx 2x4 machine. and was planning to run it on the 203v, think there will be a problem? and what software are you using to generate teh code for teh rotary axis.

sorry if you have already mentioned this in your earlier posts , any ways kindly post some pictures of the your work to me at irfanulla@gmail.com.

Regards
IRfan

Art
Mon 29 October 2007, 21:10
Presently I am just running hand coded programs. Figured out how to do fluting, barley/rope twist and rounding stock. So far only posted one example at http://www.turningaround.org/MechMate/my_first_commercial_job.htm .
Things like customer keep getting the way. Working on a interesting project. Building a Mechmate to cut tire rims so they can have an insert welded in to make the wide tires for off road use. It will be cutting 3/16" steel and apparently I will need at least a 12 hp spindle. Still researching spindle. Because of the expected weight I doubt that I can use the rack and pinion on the Z.

driller
Mon 29 October 2007, 22:19
3/16" can be cut with a mini-mill and that has less than a 1hp spindle.

I would look at the cutting tools. it might be that a simple jewelers saw could do it. lots of cutting oil, and slow speeds. not a fast job, but not hard.

a plasma cutter would do it with less machine than a MechMate.

Dave

Art
Mon 29 October 2007, 22:49
need 100+ cut a day. Table will hold 20 rims and at 25IPM should take 1 hr for all 20. Actual setup the machine will not normally stop between batches. Projecting 180 rims a day.

driller
Wed 31 October 2007, 07:26
OK, you have a heavy metal cutting project. 251 IPM on a 3/16 steel part is really heavy work.

I can see why you need the 12 hp spindle.

Dave

soulvoid
Wed 31 October 2007, 10:17
need 100+ cut a day. Table will hold 20 rims and at 25IPM should take 1 hr for all 20. Actual setup the machine will not normally stop between batches. Projecting 180 rims a day.

If you are really going to reproduce the same piece over and over again you might as well weld another gantry and 3 more carts, add z axis, the motors, drivers and spindles and cut 4 rims at a time... ;-)

Art
Thu 26 February 2009, 18:50
Here is my last project off my indexer. You gotta wonder about architecks. He wouldn't settle for 9.5" diameter so I had to mill them from 12" stock. Cost an extra $1000 for an extra .5" of post. They have a coat of Thompson's Water Seal on them. Hard part was drilling a 2 9/16" hole 16" deep in the end. Made from RF/vacuum dried fir at $4.55 BF. It has to be dried this way to totally/almost elimanite splits.
I ran at 200 IPM with .1" depth of cut and rotating 4 degrees on each cut. That was max the router would comfortably cut. Last 2 passes were .05" and total mill time was 3.5 hours.

Art
Sat 18 April 2009, 17:52
MDF dyed and then routed. Nice to be able to make your own signs.

Alan_c
Sun 19 April 2009, 01:39
:D:D:D well aint you the lucky one...

domino11
Sun 19 April 2009, 19:37
Art,
Just not as much as some of the executives though. :eek:

Art
Fri 03 July 2009, 21:53
I have starting updating my MM build on my site www.turningaround.org. Comments appreciated.

Gerald D
Fri 03 July 2009, 22:24
Art, your MechMate page doesn't fit on my computer screen (1024X768) and it is very difficult to read.

Some stats on typical screen sizes being used out there:
http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_display.asp

Art
Sat 04 July 2009, 08:45
I changed the screen resolution on the index screen only, I hope. Let me know if it is better or worse.

Gerald D
Sat 04 July 2009, 08:54
http://www.turningaround.org/index.html - okay
http://www.turningaround.org/products.htm - okay
http://www.turningaround.org/MechMate/Mechmate.htm - too wide

The first two pages auto-adjust for even narrower screens, but the Mechmate page is just one fixed (wide) width.

domino11
Sat 04 July 2009, 20:27
CNC Evolution Ornamental Mill Projects link does not work for me.

The Mechmate stuff looks good. I use a widescreen though.

Art
Sat 11 July 2009, 09:54
Frontpage can be a PITA. Can't figure out why some page auto config and other don't. I set them at 1280 wide for the entire site, I belive. I have started a section on the JoeCNC Hybrid 4by4 that I have started. It is no MM but great low volume machine. I just don't have the need for a 4by8 router.

Art
Tue 13 April 2010, 19:29
The Hybrid is doing great but plan on replacing it with a MM after the Laser engraver project. Nice machine but doesen't have the rigity I want especially for non ferous metals. Nice thing is I can sell it for more than I have invested. Confirmed that building a Joes CNC first and then the MM is a good idea. Finally is the 4 by 4 Joe CNC Hybrid router. The green PC is a Dell Insperon on which I do every thing except run Mach 3. Next to it is the Acer Revo, yes the itbity white one. It is used to run Mach 3. Both are tied to an A B switch so they share the monitor, keyboard, mouse and speakers. I like the Revo and plan on addinf a solid state drive and probaly bump to 2 Gb RAM. At $199 with XP installed it is a great buy. Both are on the Microsoft Home Server network. The X to the left is where the laser hits the material. Click on proper button and X and Y are set so their 0,0 is at the crosshairs. The bar is a Z touch off plate and used set the Z zero position Part of it's function is the Smart Tool function as provided by Legacy. Sticking out of the dust foot is wrench for the router collet which allows me to loosen the collet with one hand. At the left is the collet wrench and .1.25" collet from Precise Bits. Expensive but nice.

http://cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100594

Shortly at above link the latest version will be added.

This add-on takes the MachBlue screen set and adds an automatic Z zero function after tool change and also will turn on a set of laser cross hairs. You jog the cross hairs to where you want work coordinates of X0Y0. When you click on laser button the work coordinates of X and Y are set to 0,0 are set to the laser position. Also you can edit M6start and put in the machine coordinates you want the gantry to move to for tool change. If you start with Z zero on surface of spoil board and also the same in your CAD software you can run multiple jobs of different stock thickness without resetting Z zero.

I am not really sure of all the guys that have been involved in this project but they have created the greatest add-on that I have ever seen.. As far as I can see the only thing better would have an ATC.

domino11
Tue 13 April 2010, 19:44
Nice Job Art. You seem to be a CNC building machine. You must not do much else than CNC. :)

Art
Wed 14 April 2010, 00:37
I am extremly fortunate that in my retirement the income from my shop is not necessary to keep a roof over my head. I planned to open a cabinet shop when I retired and in the 25 years before I built the shops and bought the equiptment and it is all paid for. A friend also had the same idea and I saw what a PITA retail work was and in stumbling around to find something else I got the idea to do custom wood turning. Turned out that in the Dallas, Texas area there is no one else that wants the small jobs so I have no competion. While I am not making enough to totaly support myself, which was not the goal I am making a very nice retirement income and I am getting paid to do what I love to do so I usually spend most of my time in the shop.

Kobus_Joubert
Wed 14 April 2010, 04:09
This is my idea as well....I am building up for my retirement...just hope I get enough tools and experience by then..

domino11
Wed 14 April 2010, 08:29
Art,
Glad to see you are enjoying your retirement. :) I would like to be there also, but alas have a few more years to go before that happens. All too often I see people who retire too late and do not have any time or health to enjoy themselves.

MetalHead
Wed 14 April 2010, 19:18
Ditto on getting the tools now. I am collecting sometimes while my wife asks ... what is that for .... I just say trust me ... :D Works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't . I just grabbed a 1981 13x42 South Bend Lathe with a taper attachment to replace my Chinese lathe (10x22 110v unit).

If you buy stuff along it sure is nice to have the stuff you need when you need it .... Now to just convince folks to let me retire early ,,, hmmmm ..

darren salyer
Thu 20 February 2014, 20:53
I wonder if Art is still with us? I read his stuff a lot when I first starting venturing here, as I owned (still do) a Legacy Ornamental Mill.
He certainly knew his craft.
Hasn't logged in in a couple years.
Looked for his website, but everything seems to be gone.

smreish
Fri 21 February 2014, 10:46
http://ornamentalmills.com/turningaround/

only link I could find.

darren salyer
Fri 21 February 2014, 13:37
Yeah, I found that too. Hasn't been updated in almost 2 years....

domino11
Fri 21 February 2014, 13:44
I had an email from Rich Golder today who does the indexer wizards, and he has not heard from Art for a while as well.
I threw an email at his old address, see if he responds. Probably been a couple years since my last email with him.

DocTanner
Wed 26 February 2014, 13:18
Art lives about an hour from me.
I called his number today to see how he was.
His caretaker told me that he was in the VA - Veteran's Administration.
It didn't sound good.
I always wanted to meet him, just never made the time.

DocTanner aka DonRoss

domino11
Wed 26 February 2014, 13:22
Thanks for the update Don. Hoping things improve for Art!

darren salyer
Wed 26 February 2014, 14:00
"I always wanted to meet him, just never made the time."

How many times have I said that same thing about someone?
Trying to change that going forward.
Hope all is well for Art.

Alan_c
Fri 19 September 2014, 00:54
I have just seen on the legacy-ornamental-mills group that Art passed from cancer in the summer - RIP Art.

smreish
Fri 19 September 2014, 04:36
I had many exchanges of email and such with Art over the years....Blessings to you Art and RIP.

javeria
Sat 20 September 2014, 07:18
Art RIP

KenC
Sat 20 September 2014, 07:31
Blessings to you Art and RIP.

IMMark
Sat 20 September 2014, 07:41
I didn't have the opportunity to meet or talk with Art, but appreciate his legacy.
By thoughts and prayers to his family.
Mark

Robert M
Sat 20 September 2014, 15:16
Few years back I had the opportunity to chat with the inspiring fellow…..
Rip big guy !

pblackburn
Sun 21 September 2014, 10:21
It was his website that originally peeked my interest in building a CNC for carving. I found it one day looking for something and it was an accident that I got here. I remember saying "WOW" and enthusiastically telling my wife to come and look at the pictures. He inspired many even if he did not know.

Rest In Peace Sir.

darren salyer
Sun 21 September 2014, 14:58
RIP Art.

hennie
Sun 21 September 2014, 22:50
Rip Mate

racedirector
Mon 22 September 2014, 01:05
RIP Art, you're MM inspired mill was one of the first I ever saw.

domino11
Mon 22 September 2014, 09:36
I had the opportunity to have many conversations with Art on the phone
and through email over the years. He was always helpful and a good guy
to talk to . RIP Art. Thoughts and prayers go out to his family. :(