PDA

View Full Version : Bonjour from Montreal

kolias
Thu 07 May 2009, 15:59
Hi All

New to CNC router and looking around to find information and decide which one to build. I got all the plans for MM and study them now, looks excellent info but I'm looking for a smaller CNC and right now dont know If I can scale down the MM.

I got hooked into it when I saw a member at routerforum.com buld the "Joes CNC Model 2006".

I'm retired and have lots of time on my hands; I'm a hobby woodworker good in mechanical stuff but not in electronics

Nicolas

lumberjack_jeff
Thu 07 May 2009, 16:27
Hi Nicholas,
The Joe's machines are great, and if you want 4x4 or smaller, that's probably your best bet.

For me, I need the 4x8 capacity that the MechMate is built for.

domino11
Fri 08 May 2009, 06:54
Welcome Nicolas,
What size router are you looking for? There is one chap right now that is building a smaller table than most, you can see here
http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1402
Let us know what you are interested in and someone can help. The MM is definately better, strength and stability wise than the MDF based router designs. :)

Art
Fri 08 May 2009, 10:34
The Mechmate is an industural strength machine and JoeCNC is a great non pproduction machine. Both are the best in their field that I have found. I have a MM and am starting on a Joe hybrid because I only need 4 by 4 and it is not a production machine. You can't go wrong by building the Joe hybrid first. Make your mistakes on a lower cost machine.

kolias
Fri 08 May 2009, 22:39
I guess I made a mistake because now I understand that the MM is a great machine but too big for me

I want to build a CNC for home use, fun etc. not for any production. I have purchased the plans from Rockcliff and study them now. Joes machine is also a good one but bigger than my needs

I'm also considering to make one completely my own design

Thank you all, I will stick around this great forum to learn more about CNC

Robert M
Mon 18 May 2009, 04:56
Hey….Salut Montréal neighbor….:D
I’m from the Montreal outskirts, à Brossard .
I do not have a thread of myself YET as I’m VERY slow to start:o ...I’ve been lurking around here for OVER 3yrs now.
Have almost all my parts on hand, just missing the base table steel ( BTW, my version will be a 5’ x 8’ ) as that will walk in when I decide to commit to this beauty blue built, which in theory should be in less than a few mounts.
My break, like many others, is more like the summer period, more energy & drive, more day light, and less general agenda obstacle. Also as space is very restricted for me, without snow is a BIG plus, can work some part of this built outside….
Anyway, I can see I’ll probably & FINALY start my built by or in mid July. You’re more than welcome to see my progression, parts, exchange on the subject & also talk about woodworking as It is my primarily source of work & revenue…, I’m a proud owner of a woodworking business & shop !!
Amicalement, Robert M ;)