PDA

View Full Version : Finally My Spindle Is Running! Do I add grease?

rocky2889
Tue 14 April 2009, 23:56
Today is another major step to my CNC project. I have my spindle wiring and running. So far is only air running each time for around 10 minutes.

The spindle is an old new stock and the VFD goes with has about 1 hour time on it. The previous owner never finish the project and sitting around for 3 years or more.

My question do you need to grease the spindle? So far I only run around 6000 rpm and the max the spindle can handle is 30,000. It is scarily for me to run that fast.

I heard some squeezing noise from the spindle, I don't know is normal or not. Since is my first spindle I cannot tell the different.

Gerald D
Wed 15 April 2009, 01:09
Do not add grease - it will run too hot. The grease amount is actually critical. If it has not turned for some years, the grease can separate into paste and liquid, with the liquid then running out. It is not good for a spindle to be idle in storage - it needs running every 3 months or so.

rocky2889
Wed 15 April 2009, 13:03
So is there anything I should do or don't for now? Should I just use as it until it need new bearing?

Thanks

Gerald D
Wed 15 April 2009, 13:05
I would use it as is.

rocky2889
Wed 15 April 2009, 21:43
Thanks!

louisseville
Fri 17 April 2009, 10:57
Rocky, you should run your spindle @ 6000 rpm everyday in a warm-up routine @ least three minutes and then another @ 17-20,000 rpm to get the bearings warm, then cut. My spindle is in great shape because of the routine I was taught four years ago, and my spindle has seen thousands of sheets of melamine, plywood, solid surface and solid wood.

Good luck,

Louis