PDA

View Full Version : how much does it cost?

bear72
Tue 31 March 2009, 06:31
In general. In the states what is the cost for a plywood cutting machine?
Thanks

bradm
Tue 31 March 2009, 07:15
It varies considerably depending on the choices you make. You really have to research on your own, and see where you have advantages.

Really, really roughly for a 4x8 sheet cutting table:

$1k in steel (but someone just scrounged this for closer to $100)
$1k in motors (but could be $400, plus extra costs elsewhere)
$1k in tools (unless you already have everything, then $0)
$1k in fasteners, mechanical parts, paint, consumables, etc (but $500 if you are careful in where you purchase)
$1k in electronics and computers (but could be $2k, or $500)
$1k in your time and mistakes (or $3k, or ...)

So, let's see, that's $1500 ... $6000, or so. For zero research and effort, you could buy off the shelf for $10k to $20k.

sailfl
Tue 31 March 2009, 07:50
Bear72,

You do understand that this is more than a plywood cutting machine. If that is all you want to cut, you would be better off buying one of those panel cutters like Home Depot and Lowes uses.

Gerald D
Tue 31 March 2009, 11:44
You can get very good plywood cutting machine (http://allprotools.com/Bosch-1587AVSK-VS-Orbital-Jigsaw-w-Tool-Free-Blade-Change-Case-p-16514.html?utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_source=googlebase)s for $100 to $150

smreish
Tue 31 March 2009, 18:50
...I built my 5x10 machine with 3HP router for 5819.00 - give or take a few hundred in receipts I probably lost along the way.

bear72
Wed 01 April 2009, 07:45
I ama custom cabinetmaker and those plywood cutting machines for 150 are useless. I have a 15000 dollar table saw and looking to build a router for cabinets. Please don't talk to me like I am an idiot.
Thanks

wobblybootie
Wed 01 April 2009, 08:16
I ama custom cabinetmaker and those plywood cutting machines for 150 are useless. I have a 15000 dollar table saw and looking to build a router for cabinets. Please don't talk to me like I am an idiot.
Thanks

It was you who asked for the cost of a plywood cutting machine ....you did not say what quality you wanted .... so wind your neck in and try to be a little civil. It does not cost anything to be polite!!

Added by Gerald: Although I fully agreed with Tim, and was grateful for his post, I closed the thread at this point because "me" was likely to become even more touchy. However, Mike Richards did not see the small thread locked symbol and had a reply box available to him since he has moderator rights.....so he posted the following:

By Mike Richards

When I saw the photo that Gerald's posted of a $100 to $150 plywood cutting machine, I laughed so hard that my wife asked me if I was okay. I remember very well the struggles that I had with various "machines", ranging from a Festool with guide to a Delta Unisaw. No, I never had the pleasure of owning a "slider", but I tried everything else. When I finally got my CNC router, (and learned how to use it), I couldn't believe the ease of cutting cabinet parts. Not only were the parts more accurate, but they were basically ready to assemble, including the "system holes" that were any extra step (and an extra machine) when I did things the old way.

Cost is one thing and value is another. A $6,000 MechMate is much more valuable than a $15,000 panel saw - if you're going to do more than make straight cuts.

Thread still closed