PDA

View Full Version : New Avenger automatic tool change cnc "cartridge" spindle - NOW SHIPPING

blurrycustoms
Thu 26 March 2009, 08:49
Blurry Customs now offers high speed electric spindles from Colombo. Your spindle is the heart of your MechMate.

In addition to great pricing, we can provide mounting specifications, and tech support for putting one of these high quality spindles on your MechMate. 1.5HP to 10HP available.

Matching Hitachi X200 VFD's are also available and can be purchased separately or with a spindle.

Feel free to contact us with questions.

http://www.blurrycustoms.com/products

blurrycustoms
Thu 26 March 2009, 10:44
Oh, and you'll always get free UPS Ground shipping on any Colombo spindle shipped in the continental USA

Gerald D
Thu 26 March 2009, 17:11
Alex, what is your approach to:
- connecting the thermal protection (thermistor) in the spindle
- using a reactor between the spindle and VFD
- employing ferrite rings in the wiring

blurrycustoms
Fri 27 March 2009, 09:22
Gerald,

The VFD that we generally use (Hitachi X200) has built in logic inputs for the thermal switch. All of this monitoring and protection is internal to the VFD.

Most of our applications use fairly short wiring (20 ft). We have only required the use of an output line reactor a limited number of times. They seem to be best suited for applications with long wiring (75ft plus).

Our EMI filtering is generally accomplished with shielded cables, X200 internal filters, clip on ferrite ring filter, etc. Some applications require more filtering, and some less.

I hope this answers your question. Let me know if it doesn't.

Gerald D
Fri 27 March 2009, 12:13
we generally use (Hitachi X200) has built in logic inputs for the thermal switch.

Would like to check this out, but the x200 doesn't appear to have an English manual? (See Hitachi's download page http://www.hitachi-ds.com/en/download/invmanuals/index.php)

blurrycustoms
Fri 27 March 2009, 12:26
Here is the english manual:

http://www.blurrycustoms.com/docs/X200_instruction.pdf

Page 4-24 has some details on the thermal switch.

Gerald D
Fri 27 March 2009, 18:16
Alex, that is the first time that I see a VFD that handles the Euro standard 3 kiloOhm PTC thermistor without needing extra resistors, or without sacrificing external analog speed control. Good english explanations there as well.

Are you equipped to do bearing replacements?

blurrycustoms
Fri 27 March 2009, 19:31
I have been very pleased with the performance of the X200 as well. It is a great unit. Even though it has plethora of features, it is very straightforward to set up as well.

We do not do spindle repair. We are an OEM dealer for the Colombo spindles. All of our repairs are done through PDS, along with warranty replacements.

Let me know if I can help out any more.

blurrycustoms
Wed 01 April 2009, 10:16
Coupon Code for 10% discount on Colombo Spindles.

10OFFCOLOMBO

Valid until April 11, 2009

blurrycustoms
Wed 08 April 2009, 20:32
Packages including prewired VFD 30ft of cable, collets and wrenches are now available on the website.

Colombo Spindle Packages (http://www.blurrycustoms.com/products/spindles/colombospindles.html)

robertmonroe
Sun 12 April 2009, 19:02
When I'm ready I'll buy my spindle from you. You have good prices and appear to be very service oriented.

Robert

blurrycustoms
Sun 12 April 2009, 20:40
Well, we're looking forward to your order! :) And getting you set up with a great spindle.

Hope to see some pictures of your build as well.

Feel free to ask any questions.

blurrycustoms
Sun 19 April 2009, 23:24
New coupon code for 10% Colombo Spindles through the end of April. This code can be used on packages as well.

MMCOLAPR

http://www.blurrycustoms.com

smreish
Fri 15 May 2009, 13:16
Alex has been great for setting me up on the appropriate package for my new machine.
Ordering the unit now!

Thanks to Blurry Custom's for great customer service thus far. I guess it pays to advertise!

Sean

lumberjack_jeff
Fri 15 May 2009, 22:42
The VFD that we generally use (Hitachi X200) has built in logic inputs for the thermal switch. All of this monitoring and protection is internal to the VFD.

Please forgive the ignorant question, but the implication is that in event of overtemp, the VFD will shut down the spindle without necessarily shutting down the movement of the steppers...

What mechanism shuts down the whole machine in event of overtemp?

Gerald D
Sat 16 May 2009, 03:32
Good point Jeff. We have been using a thermistor relay (separate expensive device) inserted in serial into the E-stop line so that everything shuts down.

If the VFD does this internally, it might have a set of contacts which can be programmed to open on a fault condition.

On the other hand, if the spindle stops and the stepper motors keep going, the sounds are horrendous, but the damage is no more than a cutter and/or a sheet of material - cheap compared to burning a spindle. (A stepper motor cannot burn out from being jammed).

blurrycustoms
Sat 16 May 2009, 09:07
That is true Gerald, many modern VFDs with support for a thermal switches, also have an E-stop function which would be triggered at the same time the spindle is shut off. This could be wired in the same fashion as an E-stop button, and even inline with an existing physical E-stop button.

blurrycustoms
Thu 21 May 2009, 11:23
NEW SPECIAL:

3.0HP RV73/2 Package, includes:
-3.0HP RV73 Colombo spindle with dual angular contact bearings at tool end
-3.0HP Delta VFD with sensorless vector technology (220VAC-1 or 3 phase)
-up to 30ft of cables prewired and VFD preprogrammed
-3 collets (1/4", 3/8", 1/2")
-Shaft wrench and collet wrench

All for $2,295.00 + Free shipping in the continental USA

(For international orders, please contact me for shipping details.)

This package is not available on the website just yet, so contact me at info@blurrycustoms.com, and we can set up your order.

Available for a limited time.

blurrycustoms
Tue 26 May 2009, 15:11
For those of you that feel okay wiring a Colombo up yourself, we are also making the package above available without the other accessories.

Non-wired spindle package special includes:
-RV73/2 3HP Spindle
-Delta VFD

Price $1,895.00

blurrycustoms
Fri 14 August 2009, 19:18
We are dropping some prices in order to clear out some inventory. Here is what we have to replace those lame hand routers on your MM's:D.

1.5HP Colombo RV55/1: $750.00
-230V, 18,000 RPM, 2 Pole
-ER20
-1 year manufacturer warranty

Package: $1350
-Includes Delta VFD
-3 collets, wrenches
-Wired, up to 30ft of shielded cable

FREE SHIPPING IN CONTINENTAL USA, please contact us for shipping quotes outside of USA.

Email or call to order:
info@blurrycustoms.com
(208) 874-4192

blurrycustoms
Sat 05 September 2009, 09:50
We now have a limited quantity of 5HP and 7.5HP RS90/2 spindles for sale at discounted pricing.

Spindle Specifications:
5HP RS90/2
-Dual angular contact bearings
-18,000/24,000 RPM, 300/400Hz
-ER25 - Max 5/8" Tool Shank
-1 year Manufacturer Warranty

Sake Price:
5HP - $1,795.00
7.5HP - $1,895.00

Contact us if you are interested or have any questions:

Blurry Customs
info@blurrycustoms.com
(208) 874-4192

donm
Sun 06 September 2009, 12:26
Hitachi X200 micro drives are cheap. 5HP is usually around $325-$350. 7.5HP is usually around $500-$525.

http://www.ctiautomation.net/Hitachi-VFD-Drives.htm

blurrycustoms
Wed 07 October 2009, 15:09
5HP and 7.5HP offer expires on Friday, October 9, 2009 at 4:00PM PST.

blurrycustoms
Mon 19 October 2009, 14:00
Hello all,

Blurry Customs is nearing the release of a brand new automatic tool change (ATC) system, designed for our line of CNC routers, DIY machines like the Mechmate, and other commercial systems.

At the core of this system, will be the new Avenger spindle interface. A high precision spindle interface, easily mountable to almost any CNC platform. This spindle platform will be able to handle speeds up to 25,000 rpm, allow for quick manual tool changes, and be easily integrated into fully automatic tool change systems, all while operating on standard shop air pressures.

We have begun this thread to chronicle the release of the system, and request feedback from CNC users. Over the next couple of weeks we will be releasing details of the system, choosing beta testers, and answering questions on the system, as we approach a full release.

We are also hoping to gain a small insight into the demand for this product, in order to efficiently plan for production volumes.

If you have any interest in an affordable ATC spindle system, and would like more information on beta testing, distributing, or pre-orders feel free to contact us at the address below. OEM's are also welcome to contact us for information on OEM sales.

Keep an eye on this thread for updates.

Blurry Customs
avengerspindle@blurrycustoms.com

blurrycustoms
Fri 20 November 2009, 13:00
http://www.blurrycustoms.com/Images/avenger1_pub.jpg
http://www.blurrycustoms.com/Images/X1000-20.JPG

Just a few new pictures released.

Please email all inquiries to avengerspindle@blurrycustoms.com.

Robert M
Fri 20 November 2009, 13:29
Alex…
How about divulge little more tech info, availability & prices here. More would know what is you’re
actually offering and….well….how much $$$
Robert ;)

blurrycustoms
Fri 20 November 2009, 14:20
Alex…
How about divulge little more tech info, availability & prices here. More would know what is you’re
actually offering and….well….how much $$$
Robert ;)

We are getting very close to that point, so keep an eye out.

Thanks for the interest.:)

javeria
Sat 21 November 2009, 10:15
Maybe we can mod this to accommodate the Asian Spindles - this is very interesting :) , may be some day you will start offering things like these http://www.5-axis.com/

good luck!

liaoh75
Sun 22 November 2009, 08:04
Very interested. Did you know that there 4KW auto tool changers from China selling for under $3,000 U.S. (And that's with the spindle motor - not an attachment) you have to get your own BT30 tool holders though as none are included. I hope your solution is more more attractive on the $$$$ side of the equation. If so, I'll probably be one of your first customers. Manual tool changing is ok, but I do all the work in the shop and it would be sooooo cool to hit start in Mach and come back to a finished panel with holes drilled, dados cut, etc. etc. etc. Keep us posted, Please!!!

chrisd7306
Mon 23 November 2009, 14:35
Do you have a web site address for these 4Kw auto tool changers. I have searched ebay and done general searches on google but have not been able to find a reasonable priced changers!!
It will be very interesting to see the price of this attachment for the spindle. I just hope that it will fit the very popular Chinese spindle that a lot of people are using on their MMs.

blurrycustoms
Mon 23 November 2009, 20:07
We will be making standard adapters for 80mm and 100mm motor diameters. Of course custom sizes can be made as well.

Pricing to be posted soon.

liaoh75
Tue 24 November 2009, 10:02
Hi Chris, I think you can find out about what they look like by looking here:
http://www.kelinginc.net/CNCSpindleandController.html

I have visited a few Taiwan CNC Equipment manufactures and actually made friends with a few top brass at two. They said they could sell me what you see at the Keling website for a lot less (roughly $3000). Notice that the Keling Inverter looks very similar to what is being provided directly from China. It's a copy cat world in China. I asked the CNC manufactures using these spindles if they were as reliable as an Itilian made spindle and the answer was that there has been no complaints from any customers. The bearings do need replacing from time to time, but that's not very expensive.

If you just wait, I'm sure these things will get cheaper and easier to find. Two years ago, it was very difficult to find Chinese water cooled spindles. Now they are everywhere on E-bay, online, etc.

liaoh75
Tue 24 November 2009, 10:04
Hi Alex, can you tell us about how soon? Are we talking about days, weeks, months :) ?
Thanks

javeria
Wed 25 November 2009, 08:45
Alex - thats definitely good news - do have a good pricing.

blurrycustoms
Thu 26 November 2009, 07:45
We are setting up preorders to begin in December, and shipments in January, so pricing will be available in the next few weeks.

blurrycustoms
Wed 02 December 2009, 22:41
Okay guys, we have finalized some pricing, and will post it here first, along with more detailed specs over the next couple of days.

We will be posting general specifications, and if there are more detailed specs that you are looking for, please feel free to ask.

I will also post some info regarding a "group buy" pre-order so that we can offer some discount pricing to the early birds. Look for that tomorrow. Shipments will begin at the end of January for pre-ordered spindles.

Avenger Spindle System

Regular Price: $2,095.00
Toolholders: $75.00-$105.00

-Speeds up to 25,000RPM, up to 4.25" diameter
-Dual ABEC9 angular contact bearings
-AVQS125 toolholders (Up to 1/2" shanks, ER20 collets)
-Low-runout (<0.0005")
-TiN coating on wear surfaces
-Operates on 100PSI shop pressure
-Compact, lightweight (8lbs without motor)
-Accepts motors up to 5HP
-Custom mounting options available

Give us a call or send over and email for more information on pre-orders.

http://quickspindle.com/highslide/sample-images/diag1.jpg

http://quickspindle.com/highslide/sample-images/holder1.jpg

http://quickspindle.com/highslide/sample-images/full1.jpg

domino11
Wed 02 December 2009, 23:25
What are the costs of the motors to go with this system. Can these motors be used without the tool changer?

blurrycustoms
Wed 02 December 2009, 23:31
We will be supplying adapters for many motors that are available today, and widely used on CNC machines.

For example:

Bosch 1617EVS
Porter Cables 690, 890, 7158
Dewalt DW618
80mm and 100mm Chinese AC Induction Spindles

These motors do not require any modification to be used with the Avenger system.

blurrycustoms
Thu 03 December 2009, 20:01
The Avenger spindle is regularly priced at $2,095.00, with toolholders priced $75.00 to $105.00.

Motor adapters available:
-3.5" for Bosch 1617EVS, Porter Cable 690 and 890, Dewalt DW618
-4.25" for Porter Cable 7518
-80mm
-100mm
-Please inquire for custom sizes

Toolholders available:
-Regular reach straight shank - AVQS125-500R (1/2"), AVQS125-375R (3/8"), AVQS125-250R (1/4") - $75.00
-Long reach straight shank - AVQS125-500L (1/2"), AVQS125-375L (3/8"), AVQS125-250L (1/4") - $85.00
-Regular reach ER20 - AVQS125-ER20R - $95.00
-Long reach ER20 - AVQS125-ER20L - $105.00

We are also now accepting pre-orders and will be shipping these pre-orders at the end of January. We are only accepting a limited number of pre-orders, and only pre-ordered spindles will be shipping in January.

Pre-order pricing: $1,995.00
$5.00 off toolholders

Pre-orders do require a reserve deposit of $200.00 per spindle and $15 per tool holder, and will be accepted until January 8, 2010. To pre-order simply send an email with your name, address, preferred payment method, the motor adapter required and a list of the tool holders you would like to pre-order, and we will contact you with further information.

Though pre-orders are limited, there are quantity benchmarks that we will be looking for at which point we will be reducing prices, to give everyone a chance to take advantage of quantity pricing for these preorders.

Dealers and OEMs:

We will be accepting very limited pre-orders for dealer and OEM quantities. We do have some requirements to qualify for dealer pricing, so please inquire if interested, and we can discuss these requirements and further details on our dealer and OEM programs.

Let me know if any of you have any questions.

PEU
Thu 03 December 2009, 20:40
how is the noise level compared to water cooled spindles?
how does the ATC work?
whats the MTBF? does it needs periodical servicing?
Is there an user manual already online?

Thanks!

domino11
Thu 03 December 2009, 21:59
Pablo,
I think that quote is just for the quick change spindle adapter. The spindle or router motor is separate?

blurrycustoms
Thu 03 December 2009, 22:54
Heath,

You are correct, this cartridge spindle is directly coupled to the motor of your choice. So the noise levels will be dependent on whatever motor your are using.

The Avenger spindles will be provided with a 1 year warranty, and any service can be provided by Blurry Customs. Manuals will be available as we get closer to our January ship date.

domino11
Fri 04 December 2009, 07:50
I think some of the confusion is the fact that it is being labeled a spindle and people connect that with motor.

Gerald D
Fri 04 December 2009, 08:07
Heath, this product is a true "spindle" in the original sense. The thing that we commonly call a spindle is more correctly known as a "motorised spindle" (electric, air, whatever) or an "electrospindle"

blurrycustoms
Fri 04 December 2009, 09:31
Gerald is right here. We would be more adept to refer to our product as the "spindle" or "cartridge spindle" itself while the drive motor would be referred to as exactly that, the "motor" or "engine". I too am guilty of throwing the different terms around for the different varieties. As "electrospindle" would be the more appropriate term for the drive electric motor and toolholder interface that are integrated into a single package, like a Bosch 1617EVS.

Many "cartridge spindles", as commonly used on large metalworking machines, are coupled to a motor via belts or gears, so that they can be geared down for high torque applications. But at speeds of 24,000 rpm, gears and belts tend to go the wayside, which is why our "cartridge spindle" is directly coupled to the spindle motor of your choice. Translating the speed and torque characteristics of the selected "motor" through our cartridge spindle, and to the tool.

Our product is actually very simple, and it's a shame that the semantics gets confusing, but please let us know if we can clear up any confusion.

Castone
Fri 04 December 2009, 10:03
What is the rated bearing life and at what duty? 50% @ 20,000 RPM ?

blurrycustoms
Fri 04 December 2009, 13:04
What is the rated bearing life and at what duty? 50% @ 20,000 RPM ?

Good question.

I wish it was that easy, but bearing life is highly dependent on loads (radial and axial) applied to the bearings, as well as many other factors. This could get very technical so, it may need to go into a different thread, which I would be happy to contribute to as best I can (not being a bearing designer).

Also note: After calculating in numerous factors, bearing life is typically rated in either a number of millions of revolutions (sometimes referred to as pressure cycles) or hours of operation at a constant speed.

I am sure that there are a number of others here who would be considered more experienced, and please feel free to throw out corrections as necessary.

I wish it was as easy as saying "the bearings are rated at 4,000 hours." :D

chrisd7306
Fri 04 December 2009, 15:17
Are the bearings ceramic or steel?

Does the unit use industry standard bearing sizes i.e. can be purchased from any bearing supplier.

Will you be stocking bearing kits with instructions on how to replace bearing, seals etc..?
If so, what sort of price range would the kits cost?

Maintenance is an issue for the people who do not live in the USA.

Will I need special tools to be able to disassemble and assemble to replace bearings, seals, etc... or will I need to send it back to your factory?

chrisd7306
Fri 04 December 2009, 15:39
One thing I forgot to ask about was - tool holders carousel

Can you give some information on your tool holder carousel for this unit eg
Number of tool holders that can be used in the carousel
Are the holders held in a linear or circular type arrangement?
Cost of unit

blurrycustoms
Fri 04 December 2009, 17:06
The bearings are steel, and yes they are industry standard sizes. We do have ceramics available, and would be able to offer it as an upgrade if there is enough interest there.

Naturally, our preference would be for repairs to be done in house, and this would be necessary for repairs covered under our warranty. We will also be stocking replacement parts should they be necessary, and will make every possible effort to make life simple for customers outside of the United States, in regard to repairs made under warranty and not.

That being said, this unit was designed for simplicity, and that in turn has provided a very low maintenance system.

We do not produce a tool holder carousel at this time, though development is in progress. We will be stocking tool forks that can be easily adapted into current machine designs, especially in a linear magazine arrangement (see pic below).

http://quickspindle.com/images/toolmagazine.jpg

blurrycustoms
Fri 04 December 2009, 18:05
New website is now available for viewing. Construction will continue as we add information, but it is a good place to get all of the latest available details. All videos and pictures will be posted there when they become available as well.

http://www.quickspindle.com

:)

IN-WondeR
Sat 05 December 2009, 05:52
Wow, that's actually more expensive than I thought it would be.
But a good product, no doubt about that.
Had hoped the price would be somewhat lower, but I guess we can't get it all at one time. :D

blurrycustoms
Sat 05 December 2009, 16:54
Well, keep checking back. Preorders are going fairly well, and we're looking at some more discounts a little sooner than we expected.

chrisd7306
Sun 06 December 2009, 14:16
Alex,
Do you have a drawing that you can supply for the footprint of the 2 vertical mounting brackets and how far the two brackets should be separated. I would like to determine if there any major modifications that that to be done to the MM z axis plate setup.

What safety features have you incorporated in the design should the air supply fails?
I would not like to drop a tool holder at 24 000 rpm!!!!

Thankyou.

blurrycustoms
Sun 06 December 2009, 15:03
Chris,

There has been some concern that the mounts are too wide to clear the v-rollers on the Z axis. Though the overall width is 5", the mounts are chamfered to produce a 3.5" wide mounting surface. Based on my studies of the Mechmate drawings, little to no modification should be needed for the standard z axis plate. Please let me know if your findings are different.

In our standard mounting configuration, the bottom mount is fixed, and the upper mount is adjustable from 3.75" to 4.25" between the mounting holes. The mounting holes are 30mm wide (or 1.1811") which is similar to a standard Colombo mounting pattern.

Standard mounting drawing attached.

blurrycustoms
Sun 06 December 2009, 19:44
Chris,

My apologies for forgetting to address the last part of your question.

Our spindle, like many others, uses air pressure only to release the toolholder, and mechanical spring force to lock the tool holder. So, should air supply fail, the gripping mechanism is not compromised, you will just need to restore the air supply to release the tool holder.

blurrycustoms
Mon 07 December 2009, 23:19
Well, it's only been a few days and we have had very good response for these preorders. We have decided to increase production levels, which translates into some further discounts on these preorders: :)

Preorder price as of Dec. 7, 2009

$1,845.00 per spindle and $8 off tool holders

One note regarding shipping:

Increased production will be putting a strain on our shipping schedule, so we will be shipping on a first come first serve basis starting at the end of January.

Let me know if there are any questions.

Claudiu
Tue 08 December 2009, 03:30
Hi Alex,

please excuse my dumb question, but I still don´t get it.
Is the Avenger an ATC with Spindle or does the Spindle/Motor have to be attached separately? I´m using a chinese Spindle 2.2 kW. How is it going to be attached to the ATC or am i not going to use it anymore?

Claus

IN-WondeR
Tue 08 December 2009, 08:32
Claudio

As i see it, it's for Router motors ex. Bosch, PorterCable, Milwaukee and so on, not for real HF Spindles.

MetalHead
Tue 08 December 2009, 08:37
Alex,

Can you post a video of this thing in action on say the Milwaukee 5625-20 Router. Or some photos of it hooked to a regular router motor?

Thanks,

Mike

blurrycustoms
Tue 08 December 2009, 08:45
Claus,

No problem, let me try and clear the confusion.

In this picture:

http://www.blurrycustoms.com/Images/avenger1_pub.jpg

You can see that the Bosch 1617EVS motor is mounted the in the top of the Avenger spindle. All you have to do is load your motor with our coupling (using either a 1/2" or 3/8" collet) and then drop your motor into the Avenger system, and tighten it down.

The Avenger system can accommodate nearly any round motor under 4.25" in diameter. This includes 80mm and 100mm Chinese water cooled motors.

Claus, yes, you can use your current 2.2kW spindle. Assuming it is a round motor with a 100mm or smaller diameter.

Let me know if this information helps, or if further explanation is required.

We will be posting video of the unit in action, and preferably before our pre-order deadline. Just bear with us as we put it together. :D

liaoh75
Tue 08 December 2009, 09:00
Videos!!! I can't wait!! The price is looking better!! May I ask, why did you guys decide to use non industry standard tool holders instead of a BT30 or the like? Sorry, just had to ask.

blurrycustoms
Tue 08 December 2009, 09:08
:) After long hard discussions and analysis on the subject, we just couldn't get the BT holders to fit our design requirements, specifically space. So we bread an ISO/HSK hybrid tool holder.

liaoh75
Tue 08 December 2009, 10:43
Hi Alex, Thank you for the quick answer. I have a few more if you don't mind. Where does the air enter this thing and how is it triggered by Mach3? Any PDF manual yet? Can you post a picture of the test/development setup with it all connected to the air supply? Thanks!

blurrycustoms
Tue 08 December 2009, 10:59
David,

In the picture above, all hoses will enter through the slot on the front of the adapter. On the front of the unit, is a "terminal block" for hoses (not seen in picture above). From there, we will be supplying 10ft of hose that will run to the remote solenoid. The user will need to run the supply air to this solenoid, connected with an air hose with a 1/4" female QD.

The solenoid is powered via a 12v adapter (included) with leads that run to your control box, and leads that run to the switch on the spindle itself (for manual tool release). Mach control is the same as switching a relay on and off. If your breakout board output cannot handle 12v (.38A), you will need a NO relay.

Video, manual and pictures are in the works, will get it up here as soon as we can.

blurrycustoms
Fri 18 December 2009, 18:34
Had a few poeple ask ing about the difference between the tool holders. The long toolholders provide an extra 1" of reach.

http://quickspindle.com/images/avqs toolholders1.jpg

Travish
Wed 06 January 2010, 20:04
Hi Alex,

How's the new spindles going? Any video's yet of your progress? Looking forward to the developement.

blurrycustoms
Sat 09 January 2010, 18:16
Videos, and pics are coming together, and we will get them up as soon as possible.

We did have the preorder deadline set at the end of last week, but will be pushing it until after we have some video up! :)

jessyjames
Sat 09 January 2010, 18:22
Whatever software you are utilizing for these 3d images is pretty amazing. I guess I best hit the books and find out what it is... Great job

James

Besser
Sun 07 February 2010, 20:33
Any Vids yet? Any pics or the real thing?

liaoh75
Thu 11 February 2010, 21:30
Hi Alex,
I was wondering if you guys have finished the demo video that shows us salivating Mechmate builders whats on offer with your avenger ATC. If you guys are shipping in January, certainly a promotional video would help seal the deal for me and probably a number of builders here. Waiting, waiting, waiting.....

blurrycustoms
Thu 11 February 2010, 22:03
My apologies for not updating this thread we have been very swamped getting caught up with these spindle.

This update should have been provided awhile ago.

"It is true that this product has been delayed, and we are doing everything in our power to minimize the delay. Those who have pre-ordered have, of course, been notified, and have been very gracious with their patience. We would not expect anyone to feel they had to place an order without first seeing videos and pictures, which we will continue to work diligently to provide as soon as possible."

Please bear with us as we make sure everything is in order for this great new product.

liaoh75
Sun 14 February 2010, 09:45
Thank you for your answer. I have great respect for a company that makes sure things are done right before releasing a product. I (or should I say "we") patiently await your video/pictures.

domino11
Wed 10 March 2010, 20:01
Any news on this yet?

zigmart
Mon 29 March 2010, 15:54
Any news or reviews on this item yet?

liaoh75
Wed 31 March 2010, 09:30
I'll second that question. I think there must be some serious delays as it is being discussed on CNCzone as well. If I were to venture a guess as to what the delay would be about, I'd say it has something to do with the coupling of the router/spindle to the drive train.

This design is definitely unique, but if the motor shaft of the router/spindle isn't perfectly in line with the shaft of assembly (very difficult to achieve such a perfect alignment), say good bye to your bearings in short order.

I'm am on the hunt for an auto tool change solution. After showing a few spindle Manufactures that make belt driven units the pictures, they all mentioned this as their first comment after I told them what the pictures were. I found a belt driven version that is cheaper but won't fit into the Mechmate design as the motor (any high speed 3phase motor that is inverter driven) has to be next to the tool changer. You could pull it off if you add a second Y-motor to compensate for the mass and move the spider plate to the rear of the cavity it sits in. But, you lose the space for dust collection hose. Decisions, Decisions

blurrycustoms
Wed 31 March 2010, 09:55
Hey all,

We have been fighting the urge to post here, but I do owe you all some news on the Avenger system.

I have refrained from posting any news, videos and pictures until we have smoothed our production delays, and gotten some of these pre-orders up and running. I will, of course, admit that our initial announcement was premature, but we don't want to repeat the mistake by posting more news and videos before we have our delays worked out.

In regard to the coupling system, it was an interesting engineering challenge, but it is one that we feel we have found a solid solution for. More details will be provided for those curious, upon our "official release".

Thank you all for your interest and patience.

liaoh75
Wed 31 March 2010, 22:44
Hi Alex,

I'd be happy to see just a simple prototype video that shows that this thing actually works and can take the load of a 50mm cutter surfacing the spoil board, change to a 5mm endmill for drilling, and then, changing over to a 12mm compression spiral for cutting out sheets of 18mm sheet stock. I ready for a tool changer and will be buying one in the next three to four months hopefully.

Do you have a ball park estimate as to when such "production delays" will be sorted out? Do you need an OEM? I have a lot of good contacts in Taiwan and China as well if you are interested.

No rush, just a customer looking for a solution that you may be able to provide.

Thanks

dragonfinder1
Tue 13 April 2010, 10:34
Just giving this a bump. Any news on this? If it really works and is in production I would be interested. So far, looks like a good idea that didn't really work out.

Dave

Kenrbass
Sun 18 April 2010, 08:10
I found this place doing a retro tool change system on a porter cable router.
It looks interesting.

http://www.midwestrapidtool.com/

Has anybody tried one?

Kenneth

Allegheny
Mon 19 April 2010, 09:06
There was someone that had tried this system out - maybe on the ShopBot forum or CNC-Zone? Don't remember.

Anyway, if you're going to spend $3k, why not just get a spindle and be done with it? Using this system, you would still be limited by the cheap bearings/housings of a PC router as well as an underpowered "3" hp universal motor. The whole concept just doesn't make sense to me.

Just my $0.02

Brian
Taxachusetts

domino11
Mon 19 April 2010, 09:31
The whole idea here was the automatic tool changer. I don't think you can get a spindle with atc for $3K?

dragonfinder1
Mon 19 April 2010, 10:44
Well you could if this thing worked.

domino11
Mon 19 April 2010, 11:01
Yeah, thats what I meant. :)

chrisd7306
Mon 19 April 2010, 19:06
Have a read of reply #32 of this thread.

dragonfinder1
Mon 19 April 2010, 19:16
I've seen it. The 2 hp spindle and this changer is what I'm interested in.

Mike597
Wed 19 May 2010, 21:19
Giving this a bump, anyone hear anything? I've been reading through the forums for a couple months now and started gathering parts for my build.

Hans
Thu 20 May 2010, 07:01
I recieved the mounting brackets and the Spindle holder today in The Netherlands.
Now I can mount my watercooled spindle and later the toolchanger.

What I got is very nice alu. CNC work.
So the rest will be comming soon . . . .

Hans

Besser
Sun 23 May 2010, 21:54
Just a matter of time before the men in CHINA will come out with a really cost effective ATC. If they can build cheap spindles, an ATC cant be far away. I just hope they don't copy Blurry's and give him some space to sell his unit.

Travish
Mon 24 May 2010, 19:43
Not to threadjack the thread, but I think the cheapest out there for an atc spindle is between $3700-$4700 plus a vfd and wires from Keiling.

http://www.kelinginc.net/CNCSpindleandController.html

I have not see anyone using these chinese atc units yet. I'm curious how well they work.

Hans
Thu 04 November 2010, 06:56
The new avenger ATC spindle is ready and available . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBg1Je-2lUo&feature=player_embedded#!

I bought one.

Next on the wish list a drill option . . . . . (like on the shopbot)

Hans

blurrycustoms
Tue 09 November 2010, 10:10
To our friends at the forums,

A long time ago, in a galaxy far… well just a long time ago, Blurry Customs announced the pre-order release of the Avenger Auto Tool Change Spindle. Premature may be an understatement here considering the time that has passed since, but we are here to announce that the result was well worth the wait. The Avenger spindle has evolved, over the past 18 months, into an even more reliable, efficient spindle than we had hoped.

The Avenger spindle is available in 2 flavors to suit different requirements and applications. The first is the AVS125, which sports dual ABEC9 angular contact bearings, a max speed rating of 18,000rpm, and the capacity of up to a 5HP drive motor. The second, the AVS125C, is our ceramic version, and able to reach speeds up to 25,000rpm.

These spindles are now available to order, and because you have all demonstrated such heroic patience as we have developed the Avenger, we would like to offer a $100 discount on either of the Avenger units, plus a free ER20 tool holder with your order. Just drop your items in our new shopping cart and enter the code AVS1110 at checkout. This offer will be valid until November 30, 2010, but stock is limited so order now! See the website for pricing and delivery details.

Avenger Spindle Promo Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBg1Je-2lUo

The Avenger can also be ordered on our IronMan router packages for a full ATC router solution, contact us for special discount pricing.

Blurry Customs

http://store.blurrycustoms.com

sales (a) blurrycustoms.com

http://store.blurrycustoms.com/v/vspfiles/photos/AVS125-4.jpg

domino11
Mon 05 September 2011, 17:05
So has anyone here on the forum gotten one of these bad boys and have a review for us? :)

Hans
Tue 06 September 2011, 19:19
I have one.

Not installed jet - plan is early next month.

It looks great, very detailed, solid piece of equipment.

Will inform he group when installing & running it

Hans