PDA

View Full Version : Has dust foot, belt reduction and plastic wheels #22 - Midrand, S. Africa

MariusL
Mon 22 December 2008, 02:48
Hi All,
I was not going to start my own thread but Gerald is persuasive in a still manner.
I have decided to build the MechMate using an existing table that was meant to become a plasma cutter. This will happen later.
The size of the table is:- X = 4510, Y = 2170. I would have liked to have it 2700 wide but as the table is already built and I need the machine running soon, it will have to do. I will build a bigger one ( 6000 x 2700) at a later stage.

Gerald D
Mon 22 December 2008, 03:01
What is on the top edges of your table? ie. is there something you can bolt the X-rails directly onto?

MariusL
Mon 22 December 2008, 03:13
Gerald,
Sorry, not enough info supplied.:o Yes there are "I" beams (158 x 82). The table is built with 75mm sqr tube and has a lot of bracing. The table is very sturdy, probably over designed. My wife says I should have been a Texan. Always bigger, better stronger. The cross beams are dropped by about 80mm so I will go for a longer Z axis option. I prefer this as I am going to do some 3D cutting. I might have to increase the number of cross beams for the purpose of supporting the table base. The table has four legs each side and each have a leveling adjuster plate.

Gerald D
Mon 22 December 2008, 03:58
Is the 2170mm Y-dimension:
- in between the I-beams, or
- between the centers of the I beams, or
- over the outside of the I-beams?

Gerald D
Mon 22 December 2008, 04:06
The length of the gantry cross-tubes must be sawn to 68mm more than the dimension over the outside of your I-beams.

MariusL
Mon 22 December 2008, 05:08
Gerald,
All outside dimensions.

MariusL
Tue 06 January 2009, 09:48
Ok, so now all the holidays are over and we started work again. The frame for the base is just about done and the laser cutting has commenced. I still have to install some cross bracing for the table. I might be fitting a six segment vacuum base. Two sections per division of the table. The router will cut 1800 x 3600 in the end. I will make a larger unit at a later stage.

Kobus_Joubert
Tue 06 January 2009, 21:28
Nice going Marius, looks like a nice strong table that you re-cycled..;)

MariusL
Tue 06 January 2009, 22:53
Kobus,
Yes re-cycled is correctly termed. It started off as a Plasma cutter table by someone else. I then used it as legs for a large vacuum press table and finally it is now becomming a router table. It was not welded completely and I had to check the linearity of the structure. We leveled the table, with four adjustable feet on every side, and then checked it with a laser beam. It is 100% all round. I am pleased about that. Now I must just put some supports in for the MDF flat top.

MariusL
Tue 13 January 2009, 01:59
Gerald,
Sorry to labor the point, but just to clarify. If I cut the "Y axis" cross beams 68mm longer than the outside dimension of the I beams, is the over hang of the guide rails have been accounted for? With reference to the drawings, they always mention the "Y + xxx" type of dimensions. How do I determine my "Y" size in order to use the references correctly? Is rail to rail or how?

Gerald D
Tue 13 January 2009, 03:29
From drawing 10 10 300 W, top right side . . . . .

Your Y dimension = width across I-beams minus 430 mm

isladelobos
Tue 13 January 2009, 13:02
A picture.

I believe it is right. check it.

MariusL
Tue 13 January 2009, 13:38
Thanks Ros, now the picture is very clear.
Just to update. I receive the laser cut components tomorrow as well as the steel for the rails and the gantry. I started with the electrical box tonight and will finish that tomorrow. We have a serious debate over here about the colour of the machine. I fancy orange, my foreman chap likes red and my wife says just not blue. We will have to see who wins.

Gerald D
Tue 13 January 2009, 21:38
Thanks Ros, that helps a lot!

Kobus_Joubert
Tue 13 January 2009, 22:01
A true MM is BLUE:confused: Luckily your wife will not work on the machine...she will just DEMAND 'things' to be made for her...:D

MariusL
Thu 15 January 2009, 07:58
The trouble starts!!! After I looked at the drawing Ros made I realized, with a shock, that the machine will be too small for the intended job. I have to increase the "Y" size by at least 150mm. I also discovered that the I beam is not as linear as I had hoped for. I have made an emergency plan that should be implemented by the weekend. I will post some pics when it is done.

Gerald D
Thu 15 January 2009, 09:08
Marius, the actual movement of the y-carriage is 100mm more than Y. In other words, the center of the router should go 50mm past the edges of the table. For plasma cutting, you don't need this extra, but for routing you might have a big cutter working on the outside of the edge.

MariusL
Thu 15 January 2009, 09:24
Gerald, I was mistaken from the word go with the width required. I have to cut panels that are 2m wide although the job is about 1930mm. I have already aquired the Bosch GMF 1400 CE router. It is a bit heafty but the router is going to have to work for long hours. I have removed the I beams already as I am not happy with the quality. I designed a boxed offset tube to widen the table and to lift the gantry somewhat. I am going to fit an extrusion in place of the I beams. I am also fitting 75 x 50 tubes all along the bed to carry the 32mm MDF. I intend to fit vacuum to the bed so I am making provision at this time. All these changes means that it will not be true blue MM but I think all the important parts are still intact. The bottom line is the machine has to earn me some bucks and sooner rather than later.

hennie
Thu 15 January 2009, 20:59
BOER MAAK `n PLAN.:)

MariusL
Fri 16 January 2009, 07:11
Ja boet, the plan just cost me lotys of buck extra. But a man must do what a man must do.

MariusL
Fri 16 January 2009, 07:13
Gerald,
I just received the laser cut and bend componets from my supplier. They did bend the 10 30 455 plate as they could not find any bend instructions on the drawing. I only have the down loaded files. Is there an update for drawing please?

MariusL
Fri 16 January 2009, 07:24
Gerald, never mind I reacted before looking for myself. Blonde moments do happen to the best of us:o:o

hennie
Fri 16 January 2009, 09:40
Boer gooi nooit iets weg nie,bou twee

MariusL
Sun 18 January 2009, 06:17
The modifications to the table legs are done. I think I am going to add a support all along the length between the legs just to make sure. The car is done and so would the gantry be if one of my clever guys did not cut up the material for the gantry.

Gerald, I tried to make sense of all the discussion on cable chains but still I am in the dark. Do you know what the correct or rather best e-chain from Igus will be? My radius will be at least 50mm larger due to the increase in height.

Robert M
Sun 18 January 2009, 06:40
Maruis,
If you allow me, cable carrier is mostly selected by ID width & height to meet wiring space needed. Your increase radius only make it easier for the links ( chain) to “loop”. Igus tries hard to demystify & simplify selecting e-chains from their selections. Have a look at this link (http://www.igus.com/echain.asp), and this one (http://www.igus.com/test/schnell_c_e.asp), it should help you figure & zero in on what you may want.
Most MechMate w/Igus should go with their 200 series, no more, spending for nothing !
Nice work on your table bas !!
Hop I’ve help ? Amicalement, Robert

Alan_c
Sun 18 January 2009, 10:42
Marius

Interesting solution to your problem, I like it.

Before buying the cable chain from IGUS, try the RS website - sell the same stuff, but just at much better prices - even though you have to buy in whole meters. As Robert has said, a bigger radius will have no negative effect other than the "top" and "bottom" of the loop will not be parallel.

Kobus_Joubert
Sun 18 January 2009, 22:08
Hi Marius, you can also try
MAGQUIP
1202 Beitel Street, Robertville
P.O. Box 682, Maraisburg 1700
Roodepoort, South Africa

Telephone: +27 11 474 6567
Fax: +27 11 474 8354
Email: info@magquip.co.za

The last price was about R1400.00 for 4 meters of cable chain.

MariusL
Sun 18 January 2009, 22:18
Alan, yes I was not willing to scrap the table. This way I could also get a bit of extra height in the Z axis. I intend to do a lot of 3D cutting for mould plugs so the extra height is very handy.

Thanks for the replies on the chain, I will be sorting that out today.

MariusL
Sun 18 January 2009, 23:22
Kobus,
Can you remember the model number that you used?

Kobus_Joubert
Mon 19 January 2009, 00:00
4 METER 0450.40 KR 094 KABELSCHLEPP CHAIN
2 SETS END CONNECTORS 0450.40

Was on the Quote

MariusL
Mon 19 January 2009, 05:05
Kobus,
How long did you have to wait for your delivery from Magquip. The man says 3 to 4 weeks. I cant wait that long. The Igus man doesnt answer his phone and I cannot seem to find a number for RS (other than the online shop). Still searching though.

hennie
Mon 19 January 2009, 08:15
Try 011-691-9300 /fax 011-466-1577 they are in your area

MariusL
Mon 19 January 2009, 09:42
Thanks Hennie I found the number and placed the order already. Should have the stuff by the end of the week. As for the rest of the day, it was up to you know what.
The spider plate was cocked up for a second time by a person who has never seen a production drawing in his life, I am sure. The extrusions that are supposed to be very linear and cost R6600-00 is bent by about 20mm over the entire length and in both directions. The thing that bug me the most is that I will have to wait till morning before I can properly explode. Other than that things are almost on track.

hennie
Mon 19 January 2009, 12:15
What did the cable chain cost you?

Alan_c
Mon 19 January 2009, 12:33
The online shop is the way to go, RS does not keep stock in SA of that particular item but delivery to my door within 7 days - ex UK :eek: but if you have already placed the order with Magquip then go with that.

MariusL
Mon 19 January 2009, 22:13
Hennie,
The Y chain is a 4m chain with 75mm radius for R1469.80 and the X chain is 7m with a 100mm radius for R2472.54. Delivery is 4-6 working days.

Alan, I did order from RS. They gave the best service and the price was OK.

Gerald D
Mon 19 January 2009, 22:19
Marius, you are going to have some long "off-cuts". The minimum chain length is only half the stroke plus the curve.

MariusL
Mon 19 January 2009, 22:38
Gerald,
You are right as per usual. I am going to build a plasma cutter soon after this so I will use the spare on that. This phenomena is s problem with me. I always over design or buy to many, just to make sure:).

hennie
Tue 20 January 2009, 09:06
So correct me if I am wrong.If I order x length plus 1 meter extra it should do the trick?

Gerald D
Tue 20 January 2009, 09:20
Hennie, way of calculating the length is described here (http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8283&postcount=3).

hennie
Tue 20 January 2009, 10:23
Dankie!

MariusL
Tue 20 January 2009, 10:31
I just got mail from RS to say that the chain will only be delivered to me on the 3rd February. This is way to late. The machine have jobs waiting. Does anybody have alternatives for chains with 75mm and 100mm radius?:(

hennie
Tue 20 January 2009, 10:52
Do what kobus did.

MariusL
Tue 20 January 2009, 12:45
Hennie, I already tried that route. It will take 4 weeks. Thats even longer. That is to say if you are referring to the Magquip people.

Gerald D
Tue 20 January 2009, 19:45
Igus always seems to have stock on hand , , , , at the highest prices. Their main office is the Durban one. Tel 031-461 4824

Kobus_Joubert
Tue 20 January 2009, 22:11
Marius, you can always make a little basket to hold the cables on the gantry until your cable chain comes. I have been running like this all along. The X cables just follow and lies on the floor. Where my MM is standing in the corner there are no interference from people walking / tripping over it. I know in a factory environment it is different, but get it running and add the cable chain later.

Gerald D
Tue 20 January 2009, 22:14
You could also hang the cables from overhead

MariusL
Tue 20 January 2009, 22:23
I am speaking to the chap from Igus this morning. If not I think I like the idea of haning the cables from the roof for now.

MariusL
Tue 20 January 2009, 23:43
Gerald,
Can I use the same grinder bracket to cut the rail as what is used to grind the bevels or is there another barcket? If so, where do I get the files for it?

Gerald D
Tue 20 January 2009, 23:47
It is the same bracket - or at least, just one half of it.

MariusL
Thu 22 January 2009, 01:00
I found a local chap that makes a chain that cost effective and available. He only makes one size but it is good enough for most machines. The best is that it only cost R250-00 per meter. His name is Raymond, 083 283 6715.

Gerald D
Thu 22 January 2009, 11:29
Thanks for Raymond's info - have copied it to the cable chain thread

Alan_c
Wed 28 January 2009, 07:42
Marius

Regarding the gap on the spider, that is normal. I used washers on both sides between the spider and the flange face of the Y car to centralise the spider in the space.

Gerald D
Wed 28 January 2009, 08:36
Yes, fill the gap with washers or bits of drilled flat bar.

Every bender ends up with a different dimension across the spider from day to day, and so I left some "tolerance" in case one ended on the wide side.

You don't have to fill the gap snugly - the last millimeter will pull closed as you tighten the bolts

MariusL
Wed 28 January 2009, 12:34
Gerald
I am using the 350mm travel slide plate. I found that the measurement of the last three sets of holes is 10mm short on the plate compared to the rectangular tube. IE the holes that are spaced close together are correct. The next set is 10mm short and the sets that follow as well.

Alan_c
Wed 28 January 2009, 13:22
Marius

Looking at drawings 10 40 334 DA and 10 40 364 DA (both dated 10-10-07) those three sets of holes have the exact same dimension from the bottom (left hand side on drawing) namely 305, 415 & 545mm, that is indeed incorrect as the plate should hang below the tube by 10mm. I think you are the first to make this item, that why its gone un-noticed before

Gerald D
Wed 28 January 2009, 21:54
Sorry for the hiccup Marius and thanks for reporting it.

Thanks Alan for the note on my "To Do" list.

MariusL
Wed 28 January 2009, 22:08
Gerald,
No harm done. I tested my markings on the tube to the plate before drilling so I picked it up in time.:)

MariusL
Sat 31 January 2009, 14:03
Gerald,
Do you have artworks for the MM decal that I could use?

Gerald D
Sat 31 January 2009, 18:12
Check this thread: Official MechMate logo and colour (http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=856) within the first 8 posts there are 3 or 4 different formats (.dxf, Corel, . . . )

Kobus_Joubert
Sat 31 January 2009, 22:44
I can cut you a set if you want. Tell me the quantity and size

MariusL
Sun 01 February 2009, 09:03
Kobus,
Did you mean cut me a set of decals? If so the same as yours two off.

MariusL
Sun 01 February 2009, 09:08
Well finally it is ready to be painted. All the brackets, chains etc has been done and fitted. Some work left on the Z axis.
I decided the colour will be Ford blue after I saw the colour on a machine on one of the forums this morning.

Kobus_Joubert
Sun 01 February 2009, 12:19
Will do it this week

sailfl
Sun 01 February 2009, 14:32
Marius,

Interesting table design you have.

MariusL
Sun 01 February 2009, 22:37
Nils, if you look at my first postings you will see that the table had I beams and was a bit smaller. We had the table part already (bought with some other equipment) and had to fit the rails and gantry. During the process I discovered that the cutting area was too small for the job that we are building the machine for. Hence the overnight change and the strange design. What I did score was some extra Z movement. The whole gantry can move completely over the edge of the table. This way it is easy to do tool changes.

MariusL
Mon 02 February 2009, 05:00
Gerald is there a colour code for the Ford Blue colour? Maroons will mix the paint for me but I need a code or sample to give them.

Gerald D
Mon 02 February 2009, 05:07
See the link I posted yesterday - right in the first post of that thread.

MariusL
Mon 02 February 2009, 05:13
Sorry about that:o

Gerald D
Mon 02 February 2009, 05:19
Here it is better known as Traffic Blue - the colour you see on our freeway signs.

MariusL
Mon 02 February 2009, 07:23
Gerald, is it also known as Ford Tractor Blue or is this another colour?

domino11
Mon 02 February 2009, 08:07
That is the colour. Tremclad and Rustoleum also have a very similar colour. I believe the Rustoleum is Sail Blue and the Tremclad is Light Blue. We have the Tremclad here in Canada and that is what I will be using. :) Ford Tractor blue is the same thing and can be had at most farm type stores. If the Mechmates keep up Ford will have to start calling it Mechmate Blue. :)

Gerald D
Mon 02 February 2009, 08:21
Marius, the paint companies work with the RAL numbers in that link, they don't really work with names. Just pick yourself a nice blue!

MariusL
Mon 02 February 2009, 11:53
Gerald
I found a company just up the road from me that will mix the exact RAL number for me. I will get some paint from them tomorrow.:)

isladelobos
Mon 02 February 2009, 12:28
Marius i like your emergency plan, Nice machine.

It is possible see the extruded beam coupled to base details?

This is your rail system?

MariusL
Mon 02 February 2009, 13:31
Ros,
Almost like your drawing. The rail still protrudes over the edge of the extrusion as to fit the rack below the rail. The extension pieces were laser cut and put together as a box of sorts and then slipped over the 75x75 tubing of the table. I laser cut the mounting holes so that we have a perfect match. We also aligned the extension pieces with a laser. The end result (with the extrusion) is a very true linear section.

HomeMadeCnc
Mon 02 February 2009, 18:25
I always wanted to build my entire project with t slot extrusion. Its seems the way to go. Quick and easy to modify. Keep up the good work.

Tim

MariusL
Mon 02 February 2009, 22:30
Tim,
I am actually busy developing a full set of extrusions for our own use. We will be building custom machines with these extrusions in the near future. Mostly small footprint machines but the extrusions are very heavy so they will allow for building of large machines as well. The costing however will not be the same as the MechMate. It will be difficult to beat the MM on price. But the manufacturing process and time will be less on the extrusion method. The site is not up yet but keep watching for www.mastercut.co.za .

HomeMadeCnc
Mon 02 February 2009, 22:49
I look forward to seeing your website up and running. Are you planning on any plasma cutting or lazer on your current build? With that size of machine you could build anything :rolleyes: Ah, the posibilities!

Tim

MariusL
Tue 03 February 2009, 02:10
Tim,
We are planning to make a crane gantry high over the machine with a water box so that we can do some plasma cutting with the same machine. For commercial plasma machines, I have a slightly different aproach. The machine must have a very heavy base to ensure that it can carry at least 1.5 ton. The linear sections and gantry will be the extrusions.

Kobus_Joubert
Tue 03 February 2009, 04:27
Went to see Marius this morning....must say a really impressive machine.....wish I had the space:D Nice going Marius

MariusL
Mon 09 February 2009, 12:46
Gerald,
Any ideas on how to handle the dust extractor tube. With the table being large it poses a bit of a problem. The dust collector is situated next to the machine midways. The tube is 100mm in diameter. I was thinking of a swing arm with a roller track.:confused:

Gerald D
Mon 09 February 2009, 19:58
A swing arm with a track under it, and one or two runners supporting the hose, seems to be the best option.

MariusL
Mon 09 February 2009, 22:42
Gerald,
Should I make the swing arm to reach the furthest corner? If not, what is the practice?

Gerald D
Mon 09 February 2009, 23:36
I don't know of standard practice because I havn't seen enough systems. I think the biggest factor is the amount of ceiling height you have above the table. If you have plenty of height, you don't even need a swing arm. . . .

http://www.mechmate.com/Forum/messages/2/831.jpg

Note that it helps to support the hose above the z-axis so that it can drop down to a flexible loop after the support.

Here (http://www.mechmate.com/Forum/messages/2/294.jpg) is a fixed arm, again going to point high above the z-axis.

There is no harm in building a swinging arm that stops about a meter short from the furthest corner - you can
always cut it shorter later.

This has become a separate topic here: Routing the flexible dust hose (http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1396)

kaartman
Wed 11 February 2009, 23:09
Hi Marius
Have a look at my vacuum setup
http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?p=21664#post21664

MariusL
Wed 18 February 2009, 22:57
Well finally we are cutting. The first part I cut was the dust foot for the extractor. We are cleaning up and making last minute adjustments but we will commision the machine today. I will post some pics later.

javeria
Wed 18 February 2009, 23:09
thats great - I find your machine one of the most beautiful to look at - and to see it working would be so much so good.

Kobus_Joubert
Wed 18 February 2009, 23:17
I will come around and break the Champange bottle on the side some time if I am in that area. Well done

HomeMadeCnc
Thu 19 February 2009, 20:01
Well Done! I look forward to seeing what projects come off that huge machine! How about a video?

Tim

MariusL
Mon 23 February 2009, 22:29
Sorry for the delay but the MM webserver or ISP blocked my IP from connecting to the forum.
Well here goes, we completed the machine last week and have done some cutting. I now find the biggest problem is to obtain the tools we need to do the cutting jobs that we have. I have a 8mm and a 12mm collet with the bosch router but found out that those are not the popular sizes for tools. I also need longer tools to cut the 3d plugs from foam. I guess this will be an ongoing battle.
The dust collection system works very well, almost to well. It leaves nothing behind.
I opted for a 4:1 reduction on all motors. See pics.
Thanks Gerald your effort made it possible for us to have a good working machine in under two months.
Also thanks to Greg from CncDirect for all his help.

Alan_c
Mon 23 February 2009, 22:47
Wow, now you see thats why I dont like Joburg, you guys are just too fast for us laid back Capies...:D Very nice looking machine, lets have some more details on those reduction drives - they look interesting, I want to add them to my machine as well as I am not happy with the direct drive chatter.

Contact Bosch for either replacement collets or to purchase 1/4" and 1/2" collets, I find I use all 4 sizes (I still want to get the 6mm and 10mm collets, then there is very little that I wont be able to hold in the router)

For the cutters, try Austro, Leitz, Leuco and engineering supplies for milling cutters, Another good source could be Wood Finish Management, they bring in a range of cutters for the machines they sell 011 907 3982 - Trevor Williams

Gerald D
Mon 23 February 2009, 23:08
Marius, that's a beauty!

Even your dust hose is a matching colour! :D

Those belt drives are very interesting, it looks like you got standard flanged bearing unit somewhere . . . . . . (some car engine water pumps are similar . . . old merc. . . )

MariusL
Mon 23 February 2009, 23:50
Allan,
I attached the drawings. Take note that the Z axis has a problem. I had to lift the motor plate by 40mm on order for the plate not to snag on the spider plate bolts. I took one of the large spacers and welded a 40x10 flat bar with a hole onto it and therby lifting the motor plate. I also had to extend the rack in order to achieve the correct travel that I wanted.

MariusL
Mon 23 February 2009, 23:53
Thanks Gerald I am also very chaffed with the colour it looks really good.
I had the flanged bearing housings cut. I attached the details in the previous post.

Lex
Mon 23 February 2009, 23:54
Geluk met die masjien Maruis!
Good professional looking - enjoy!

Kobus_Joubert
Tue 24 February 2009, 00:39
Jis maar hy is MOOI!!!!!!! Baie geluk en ek hoop jy maak nou jou miljoene met hom.

MariusL
Tue 24 February 2009, 01:54
Thanks Kobus, ek hou van die miljoene idee.

kaartman
Tue 24 February 2009, 04:11
Nice Marius. congratulations on a job welldone

javeria
Tue 24 February 2009, 05:35
Good Job Marius - especially the belt drives.

where's the video?

smreish
Tue 24 February 2009, 05:48
Wow, what a nice machine - and petite:D
The 80/20 Bosch style extrusion for the main beams is very nice feature for the bolt up of the rails.
Do you plan on using the extrusion for "other accessories" mounting or just for the convenience of the build.

I trust you will have a prosperous year with your new machine.

Sean #5

jhiggins7
Tue 24 February 2009, 06:40
Marius,

Congratulations on Serial #22. A magnificient machine!:)

The updated Builder's Log is here (http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pLoxg8wu4WnsBc2_U5yEaQw).

Regards,
John

gmessler
Tue 24 February 2009, 09:53
Beautiful job Marius!:)

How about some detail on your dust foot / collection.

domino11
Tue 24 February 2009, 11:34
Marius,
Congratulations on #22. :)

MariusL
Tue 24 February 2009, 14:18
Thanks to all for wishing me well and thanks for the compliments. Sean I only used the extrusion to give me a very true level to mount the rail onto. No extras will be fitted to them .

Greg, I have attached the dxf file and the sheetcam files. The material must be 25mm of anything that you have. I had a piece of Vesconite and hence the low feed rate. I think nylon or perspex will work fine. I stuck some self adhesive velcro to the edge and made a dust skirt with 4 layers of PVC that are glued on top of each other. I made slits at about 25mm apart but this will depend on the suction that you have available. Notice that there are two sets of mounting holes. The outer set was meant to be mounted on sliding rods in order to be able to lower the foot as close as possible to the job. The inner set is to bolt the foot to the bottom of the router bracket with wing nuts.

I will make avideo as soon as the pressure to perform is has gone off a bit.:(

MariusL
Tue 24 February 2009, 14:38
I meant to include these two pic to clarify the reduction assymbly. What is not shown on the drawings is that you must counter sink the bearing flange mounting holes and mount with m6 x 12 CSK cap screws from the front.
Take note of the hand of the motor plates. They only mount one way after you counter sink them. The Z axis plate only fits one way as well.

sailfl
Tue 24 February 2009, 14:59
Marius,

Congratulations on #22.

Okay, I want blue dust collection hose. Where does that come from? or did you paint it?

gmessler
Tue 24 February 2009, 18:34
Thanks Marius!:)

MariusL
Tue 24 February 2009, 22:18
Greg, just check the sutting depth on the outside pass to make sure that it is 25.5mm deep. I might have changed some things there.

The hose is a standard 100mm hose that was supplied by a local company , Chick Henderson. I have a feeling it should be available eslewhere as well.

hennie
Wed 25 February 2009, 05:19
Geluk op 22

MariusL
Fri 27 February 2009, 13:00
Gerald,
I am very impressed with the performance of the machine. I have attached some pic of the first attempts at a 3D mould cut from foam.
I have a small issue with the overhead dust collector tube. It seems to get snagged on it self from time to time. We have to change the sliding mechanisms a bit. Other than that, pure magic.

Gerald D
Fri 27 February 2009, 13:10
That's a nice and dusty foam job . . . . a good test for clogging of v-rollers and racks . . . . .

Well, what is your impression about any clogging?

MariusL
Fri 27 February 2009, 13:35
Gerald,
The racks had no problem at all and there was some deposit on the rails. In my case it might be worse as I am using Ertalite wheels. They are a bit softer that the steel. I am going to fit a small brush on both side of the car and the gantry. Even so it was not enough to cause any concern. The machine had cut from 11h00 this mornig and just stopped while I am writing this, at 22h30.
The dust collector suffered much and might be gone. The dust is very fine and causes the cloth bags to clog up. I might still speak to you about that cyclone soon.

Gerald D
Fri 27 February 2009, 21:05
Curious about the life of those Ertalyte (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyethylene_terephthalate) wheels - sometimes I wonder if we can dump the wheels and replace them with solid plastic slide blocks, still on the v-rail, (like a lathe bed) . . . . .

MariusL
Fri 27 February 2009, 23:14
Gerald, So you picked up on the spelling. I sometimes do that:). Personally I would not give up on the wheels. The added friction that the slide block give will not be practical especially on larger machines. What I would look at is to increase the contact area. I am looking at designing an extrustion that will give about 10mm contact area on each side.
I am monitoring the Ertalyte wheels closely to see how they hold up. So far not a sign of wear. Also the machine runs very quite so it will be a bonus if they last.

Gerald D
Fri 27 February 2009, 23:28
Have you seen this thread: Guards for the V-rollers and oilers for the rails? (http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=796) and the links from there?

MariusL
Fri 27 February 2009, 23:54
Gerald,
Has anyone made some of those blocks with the felt in them?

Gerald D
Sat 28 February 2009, 01:22
I only know of this one in the UK:

http://www.mechmate.com/Forum/messages/2/188.jpg

. . . . uses standard felt holders from the Hepco wheel supplier.

MariusL
Wed 08 April 2009, 05:10
Gerald,
The machine has been working non-stop for many weeks now and the ertalyte wheels dont show any signs of decay yet. They have not yet bedded and I think it might be a good alternative. The machine noise is also very low. Kobus came round the other day and commented on the low noise level so I take it must be a lot better than the metal wheels.

Gerald D
Wed 08 April 2009, 06:04
Marius, that is great news on the Ertalyte (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyethylene_terephthalate) wheels.

Kobus's machine has direct drive motors, which makes a machine sound quite rough. I guess his comment was based on this aspect. I don't think that steel/plastic wheels will make a big difference on noise, but I may still be proved wrong. :-)

MariusL
Sun 31 May 2009, 12:09
Gerald,
Many many hours later - the machine works very hard and every day. Still no sign of the wheels giving up. I cut many multi layer 3D moulds from foam. The foam tends to stick to everything due to static. The jobs are mostly 12 hours plus.

Gerald D
Sun 31 May 2009, 12:46
Ja Marius, even if this machine is kept simple, it still is a workhorse. Thanks for keeping us posted on the wheel life.

Does the sticking foam build up so far that it stops the machine? (in other words, are you forced to keep cleaning off the buildup a couple of times per day?)

MariusL
Sun 31 May 2009, 23:34
Gerald,
No not at all. I clean it maybe once a week. It makes small patches of build-up on the tracks. If it is not cleaned the tendency is for the muck to build up on spots where there is dirt already. So it grows. I must say that the deposit is never very thick - it seems to be flattened by the wheel and have very little effect. If a brush is fitted both side of the wheel there will be no problem whatsoever. I have not had time to fit them yet.

Further discussion on plastic wheels moved to:
V-Wheels machined from PET plastic (Ertalyte) (http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1731)

sprayhead
Fri 23 October 2009, 03:24
good news!

that foam looks like PU foam.

racks are not suffering... good.
wheels, just a bit...good.

:rolleyes:

thanks,
francis

MariusL
Fri 23 October 2009, 03:33
Francis,
Yes it is PU foam, We don't have many choices when it comes to foam over here.