PDA

View Full Version : How to find INFO on stepping motor's?

allan-p
Thu 11 December 2008, 00:26
Hi Group
I'm new to the group and want to build my first CNC. I have two real nice stepping motors and would like to know about them on the back of the motor it says Sanyo Step-Syn Stepping motor Type 103-820-28. DC 4.5 Volts 1.4 Amps 2 Deg/Step. IBM P/N 6837866 LOT NO.8229 Sanyo Denki CO.,LTD.
It's A 6 Wire Motor i did check them out with a ohm meter they have two coils 6.2 ohms each with a center tap 3.1 ohms
They look like nice motors just not sure if i can use them for a small CNC.But i sure would like to try using them. All so i would need a circuit board to run them?
please i need your help.
Allan-p
pierron1@yahoo.com:)

Richards
Thu 11 December 2008, 06:39
Allan,

Those may not be the best motors to use. The only information that I could find on the Internet stated those motors were used by IBM in one of their printers and that that design was twenty-eight years old. Back then, the motors were the round style, meaning that they had much less torque compared to the modern square type motors.

New motors from Oriental Motor cost between $150 and $260, depending on the model and whether they are geared or not. Besides the motor, you will need a stepper driver (Gecko G203v), a power supply, software (Mach3), and a breakout board (PMDX-122). There is a lot of information on the forum about each of those parts.

If you need help getting started, send me a private email, and I'll try to help you get started.

allan-p
Thu 11 December 2008, 23:44
Hi
As for the motors i have they are out of a large plotter.And they are about dated 1987. i do no that there old but they are a nice motor.All im looking for is some Info on them.
I just want to see if i can get them working again. i did find the control board for them.
Allan-p