PDA

View Full Version : New registrations suddenly increased

Gerald D
Mon 10 November 2008, 05:57
We use to run at around 10 to 15 new registrations per day, but there has been a surge this past weekend with 30+ registering yesterday. Wondering what causes it, and if it is likely to continue? How it affects me is by the number of inane e-mails that accompany the new registrations. Today's samples:

"SIR, I would like to buy all mechanical parts to complete a machine cnc complete thank you"

"PLS SEND ME THE PRICES OF MACHIN &SPEAR PART"

"Please look into the activation of my account"

"I don't remember my user name or pass word"

The above are not extracts from e-mails....they are the WHOLE e-mails! :D

Anyway, if you guys can think of a reason why we suddenly get these registrations , please warn me so that I know what these people are expecting. :)

Kobus_Joubert
Mon 10 November 2008, 06:01
Maybe word of mouth.....MechMate is a name that's on the map now. Good product sells itself..well done Gerald

Gerald D
Mon 10 November 2008, 06:30
The word has been around a while - what changed this last weekend? Did Oprah mention us? Mike Rowe? Or did the weather just go cold and force everyone indoors to entertain themselves?

hennie
Mon 10 November 2008, 06:47
It is something in the water.

isladelobos
Mon 10 November 2008, 06:52
It is possible see stats?

You can add a message, "please first learn you machine and then build a new"
:)

sailfl
Mon 10 November 2008, 11:31
Gerald,

I think Oprah did mention some thing or may be the new president is the one that said some thing.

I sure it is a plot to keep you busy.

domino11
Mon 10 November 2008, 13:16
Ok,
I did tell a friend of mine about the site. Actually, almost everyone I come in contact with when ordering parts or whatever always ask what I am using the stuff for. I always give them the web address. :o Sorry Gerald. :)

smreish
Mon 10 November 2008, 14:33
...I think the public-at-large have finally figured out that you can have exceptional quality for a nominal price if you put some hard work into it.
Plus, I can own a big blue cutting machine for 1/4 the cost of the other big blue cutting machines. ....and I can fix it when my guys break it! :D

...or maybe the rest of the world's economy is as bad as the USA and now want the same quality as other machines 4x the cost and it's the rude awakening they have been waiting for.

Kobus_Joubert
Mon 10 November 2008, 21:34
Must I stop telling my friends as well ? Everywhere I go I talk MM and show them photo's on my mobile to make sure they understand what I talk about.

Gerald D
Mon 10 November 2008, 21:42
Something must have been said in France (probably on a forum) on the weekend - that surge in registrations was mostly from e-mail addresses ending .fr, plus some .it, .hr and .pl as well.

Hugo Carradini
Tue 11 November 2008, 07:44
Hello Gerald. You can't help people with out any nice consequence. Beside your "sweet"character:D, you are a professional with a great machine and web site, sow ....1+1=2
I fallow as much as I can the forum and is really amazing the way is growing.
Congratulations from a proud owner of a MECHMATE Beast:)
Hugo Carradini

zedleppelin
Tue 23 December 2008, 21:04
I don't know about anybody else, but I joined because I figured it was a great way to meet chicks.

(Or Oprah, as the case may be.)

sailfl
Wed 24 December 2008, 01:06
I didn't know any better. I liked the T-Shirts and Hats.

Kobus_Joubert
Wed 24 December 2008, 01:10
Chicks !!!! WHERE ??

riesvantwisk
Wed 24 December 2008, 05:43
Gerald,

I have never run a forum or anything, but it 'might' sounds fishy.
At least to check if it isn't a bot you can reply to one or two of them and see if you get an answer.

Ries

domino11
Wed 24 December 2008, 07:27
Nils,
Dont forget the trouble we got into last time T-shirts and Hats were mentioned. :o :)

sailfl
Wed 24 December 2008, 07:47
Heath,

That is when I hadn't completed my machine. If there is enough interest and we have Gerald's blessings, we need to go for it. the two of us is not enough.

zedleppelin
Wed 24 December 2008, 09:28
Nils,
Dont forget the trouble we got into last time T-shirts and Hats were mentioned. :o :)
Since there seems to be a legitimate need to know why there might be a sudden increase in interest; I joined because of the ad in Make magazine (Though that doesn't necessarily rule out "because it's a great way to meet chicks").

My wife and I are restoring an 1880's Victorian house, and we're trying to make it as authentic as possible. I'll be making the balusters, spandrels, brackets and assorted fretwork from period architectural plans. (Don't worry, I'll share.)

I've worked as a Journeyman Shipfitter and general steel fitter for many years, so I'll have no trouble fabricating the parts for a CNC machine, but after that - I'm just dumb as a bag of hammers when it comes to programming. Let's just say that it's always midnight on my VCR, if you follow my drift.

I want to make my own CNC router for the sheer challenge and this is the best place to learn, in my astoundingly humble opinion. So far, you seem like really good people, and you go out of your way to make newcomers welcome.

I promise to rtfm and do as much research as possible before laying questions on you, and I hope in return you'll be a little more patient than usual with me, since what I know about CNC machines could easily be inserted in a flea's hindquarters and yet still rattle like a BB in a boxcar.

Now, about those hats and T-shirts...

Gerald D
Wed 24 December 2008, 09:42
Ed, you make me laugh, in a good way. :D

Did we have an ad in Make magazine? :confused: Who paid for it? :eek::confused:

How about teaming up with a friend who is semi-literate on computers?

domino11
Wed 24 December 2008, 10:12
Gerald,
It might have just been mentioned in an article. I also remember MM being mentioned on hackaday.com as one of the best cnc home built routers. :)

Gerald D
Wed 24 December 2008, 11:00
This thread started 7 weeks ago and then I discovered we were mentioned on a French forum on radio controlled model planes. The new registrations have settled back to around 15 per day.

sailfl
Wed 24 December 2008, 11:07
Ed,

Welcome and we will help you get through the other stuff. I know a thing or two about computers though I am starting to forget more than I learned - past history as Software Engineer.

As a new guy, tread lightly about the T-Shirts and Hats. Gerald is a bit touchy about mentioning it. Put your attention on your build. I don't want to start a sign up sheet yet. Need more interest from all the folks. But how can you have a machine with out a T-Shirt and Hat.

jhiggins7
Wed 24 December 2008, 16:30
Ed,

I know something about computers and such (degree in Computer Science, my work life was in a data center, now retired). I know almost nothing about metal working. And very little about CNC.

I will be glad to help you in anyway I can. I'm building the Control Box now.
We're a little far apart for a personal visit, but feel free to PM me or send me an E-Mail if you would like.

Of course, the best advise is to stick to the plans. You can't go too far wrong if you stick to the plans. And, if you do have problems, it is much easier for members of the forum to help you if your machine is essentially like all the others. For you, this will be especially important in the area of the Control Box and the stepper motors.

Regards,
John

vardy
Sun 04 January 2009, 05:00
Gerald,
It might have just been mentioned in an article. I also remember MM being mentioned on hackaday.com as one of the best cnc home built routers. :)

yup thats where i found ya, i have spent the last few hours trying to understand how it all goes together.. and wow its really advanced stuff but very interesting i fit kitchens for a living so it would be wonderful to have a cnc machine to make my own cabinet doors!.

the electronics section is very complicated do all the relays capacitors and such have to be put together manually with the use of the ol' soldering iron, or can somthing be purchased that does the job?

the designs are detailed but hard to follow is their any way you could create a step by step guide e.g step.1 take a ??mm x ??mm xmm sheet of steel cut holes here and here etc...

cheers for this site its amazing you must have put many many hours into designing this product, and i gotta say its greatly appreciated :)

WTI
Fri 09 January 2009, 11:58
You can buy a pre made power supply and you can get the motor drivers/computer interface already put together too (like Gecko G540).

But you miss out on the "fun" of building everything, and if you built it, you will have no fear of opening it up to fix it.