PDA

View Full Version : What modifications or considerations might a "mini" mech mate design need

jasonbrew
Mon 03 November 2008, 21:46
I have searched and read many posts––so, sorry if I am asking an age old question. However, I am wanting to build a "mini" version of the mech mate due to shop size.

What design features and/or structural changes might be worth changing or reconsidering? For example, if the weight of the gantry is not sufficient for the spindle, what changes would one recommend. Different style X-rails?

Secondly, I have been trying to determine a motor size and specs for a smaller machine. If there a good rule of thumb or a ratio of in/lb to not go below for milling mdf–plastics?

Last question, is it possible to build a mini version for $750 usd?

I love the design, great work, thanks for sharing!!

Gerald D
Mon 03 November 2008, 21:52
Sorry, a "mini" version at about $750 is another machine completely. You are looking at the wrong machine to fit your needs. The MechMate is not going to do it for you. But thanks for stopping by. :)

Gerald D
Mon 03 November 2008, 22:34
Have already had 2 PM's effectively asking why I didn't discuss and closed the thread. . . .

Guys, take it to CNCZone. This forum is too narrow minded for you. :)

Gerald D
Mon 03 November 2008, 23:41
.....followed by an angry PM which requested that membership be deleted.

"i must say, u seem to be cleverly jerkish! Congrats, you went to all this work developing an idea, so many people could build it and you get some weird "god" like self worship from it. But, I have read many of your replies to such questions, which is why It took me so long to post . . . and you like being a jerk. You shut any additional idea down. My bet is mech mate never takes any progressive steps (I hope it does). And your mind is right, go make your own––and people do. Please remove me from this forum."